my mum

trufflet 65

Oct 15, 2007
brighton
Hi my name is Lisa and i live in Brighton. My mum has recently been diagnosed with AD, at the age of 60,it has taken quite a few atempts for me to firstly contact this site but also to get to grips with this computer, thanks for small children! My Dad at this point in time seems to be in denial.Mymothers father had ad and her brother has parkinsons! my brother works in a envioroment where he is in contact with people with dementia so i feel he is more aware what the future will bring. Iwas wondering if anyone out there knows if there is a support group that is run in the evenings to go along to ,to be able to meet and share advice, experiences, etc with.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Lisa and welcome to Talking Point

Have you been in touch with your local branch of the AS http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/BranchWebsites/Brighton/Index.htm? Unfortunately, it does seem as if their support groups meet during the daytime, but they might be able to direct you to somewhere else.

I'm afraid denial is fairly common when it comes to a diagnosis of this sort, and really very understandable. Only time will change that, I think.

Best wishes

clarethebear

Oct 16, 2007
manchester, uk
Hi Lisa

Sorry to hear about your mum, my thoughts go out to you and your family. I am sorry I don't know of any support groups you could contact.

I am a new member to this site as well and have been looking around the site most of the day. I hope like I have found you will find lots of support and help in the TP. If ever you need to talk just put a posting in like you have done and I'm sure all will listen and help you where they can.

Take Care

Clare

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hello Lisa
Welcome to Talking Point. My husband was diagnoised with A.D. at 58. Life is so cruel but with Talking Point, the support and any information people are able to give are a life saver. Our local authority funded our Alzheimer's Branch with finances to run an evening session for people who could not meet during the day. If you contact your local Branch they would be the best people to know. At some Branches, the Manager will make an appointment for an evening meeting. I hope you do have that facility where you live.
Best wishes, Christine

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Hello Lisa,

So sorry to hear about your Mum.

I agree with your previous replies that the best thing to do is to contact your local Alzheimer's Branch. Although the offices are only staffed during the day, you may find that they run support groups during the evenings. My local branch runs a monthly support group specifically for younger carers which is held from 7pm to 9pm. It has been really helpful, both from a practical point of view and for emotional support from others in a similar position.

The Alz Soc also run carers courses which cover all aspects of coping with dementia - again, very helpful and well worth attending if you can manage it.

Mary-Ann