My mum

Aud

May 31, 2005
Newcastle
Hi my name is Aud, this is my first time on this site. I'm really looking forward to being able to chat to people who know what we are going through.

My mum is a wonderful lady who used to be an excellent hostess to friends, neighbours and strangers. Now everybody seems to be a stranger (except every now and again she recognises us) and she can't hardly form a sentence let alone ask them if they would like a cuppa. What a horrible illness this is!!!!!

She is middle/late stage of alzheimers. My poor dad is her primary carer who, whilst doing his very best, is not ever going to be able to do enough. He is a proud man who thinks he is capable of looking after my mum at home. The hospitals and social services think she should be in a home, but finding the right one where my dad would be happy to let her go to?????? It's an impossible task and because he lives one mile inside the borders of Northumberland he can't access a superb home in Tyne and Wear.

Sorry if this is a bit bitter and twisted message I guess I'm just frustrated.
Anyway hi to everyone out there, I love reading your comments they are very helpful.

Aud :confused:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Aud, welcome to TP. You dont sound bitter and twisted to me, just another frustrated carer trying to come to terms with this darn disease and the problems it causes. What a shame your parents live just outside the catchment area you mention. Although, having said that, often if you are self funding you can go to where ever you like. Also, sometimes a deal can be struck by councils to pay for care in a neighbouring area I believe. It might be worth investigating in case such a scheme operates around their area. I do hope you find TP as useful as I have. We have a grand bunch of people, all on the same journey, so there is usually someone in the same situation, or someone who has been in that situation in the past. We all help each other here. We can only talk from our own experiences, but as this is what this illness is so often about, especially in the early stages, any help we can give each other is a bonus. Keep postin', love She. XX

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Aud
welcome to TP.
Might it be an idea to talk to Dad's counciler?
He/She may be able to assist with the catchment area problem.
All the best
Norman

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR