my mum

koo

Oct 22, 2008
My mum has been in hospital for the last two months it was thought that as she has deterioated she would go into a care home and the doctor told us to find a suitable care home for her but she insited on going home which she lives by her self and now the hospital have decided to go down this line against our better jugement as we don't think it will work she will be getting a care package with various people 4 times a day she will also have a device on her and an alarm on the door so that it goes off whenever she goes out but I don't know if this would be activated at night or all the time so she would not get out on her own has anyone had any experience on the alarms for the door.

koo

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Koo, welcome to Talking Point.

So sorry to read about the situation with your mum. I think you will stand more chance of replies if your post were in the main forum. (Don't worry, it takes time to find your way around somtimes).

I will move your post now.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi koo, Will your mum be able to cope with different people coming in at different times of day? Will she cope with a new 'device'? Without knowing a bigger picture (why she has been in hospital, what stage dementia etc) .. it appears the hospital are trying to go along with her wishes .... which is laudable to some degree - but it depends how capable mum is of recognising and accepting what risks she may pose to herself. Rehabilitation home from hospital needs a multi-disciplinary team - and the Occupational Therapist should be a key figure - but in my experience they tend to look mostly at physical capabilities (great on arranging grab-rails etc ;)) and it's important that someone (CPN/Social Worker?) is focussing on your mum's mental capabilities in terms of living independently.

You certainly need to understand the scope and process of any alarm systems ......

Have you been given the opportunity to express your concerns?

Karen

mica123

Apr 30, 2008
england
Hi Koo,
By a device round their neck,i presume you mean a pendant.if not then ignore this post.
I have a work colleague whose husband is in her husband has heart failure and an anuerysm to boot.she choooses to continue working which is her prerogative.Her husband has a pendant around his neck and due to poor mobility sleeps downstairs.my colleague went to bed one day last week,and was woken by the phone at 4am,it was carewatch,they had been ringing her for 4 hours before she answered,her husband was on the floor.Why hadn't they acted on the pendant call? she asked.Because we presuned you were in the house.they said.This poor woman was exhausted from caring and working and was relying on the carewatch whilst she slept.i have doubts which others may not have on this system.

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Hi Koo

There are horror storie's on the community alarm system.
I work as a community support worker with people who use this system and on the whole it is sucessful, plus my Mum has one because I have to work and it gives me piece of mind that she has this (we go through why she wear's it every day)and a keysafe at the front door.
The alarm on the front door will probably be similar to the community alarm and work on the same basis (24hrs).
Life as it is now is a constant worry, which shows how much we all love and care for our folk's.
One of my work colleges said "God never gives you more than you can cope with" to which I say what did Mum and I ever do to upset him that much!!!!:rolleyes:
Best wishes Koo

koo

Oct 22, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for your reply I am new to this talking point. My mum has moderate Alzheimers and she said she only wants the carers in for a short while till she settles in she does not relise it would be pernament she also thinks she is better and over the disease which is worrying as you can't tell her as she won't listen so I just have to go along with it I guess we will just have to see how things progress with her and how she settles in next week. My concern is when the last care worker has gone at night and she is left alone in a big house with no one to talk to that the hallucinations will start up again. I am sure the care workers will be very nice and good but it is the fact that after a month of being in hospital the doctor agreed she should be in a care home so we had looked for one for her but she refused to go into one and insisted on going home.
So we just hope it is fine and works out.
Koo

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
it's hard not to worry

Hi Koo it's so hard not to worry, but the carer's are very used to working with people with Dementia and realise routine is the key for your Mum, so hopefuly as she settle's into the routine of the day she will become used to the carer's. Its very much a game of wait and see isn't it?
Best wishes Koo

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
carer's are very used to working with people with Dementia and realise routine is the key for your Mum, so hopefuly as she settle's into the routine of the day she will become used to the carer's.

That so true ,Because even with my mother who at a later stage then your mother, I leave for work at 5 45am, leaving mum alone in the downstairs of our house, carer do not arrive till 8am to wash change mum stay with her till day centre bus arrives . Took my mother a few days to get use to having different carers, also me leaving her alone But my mother settles in to a her new routine.
You may find your mother somewhat unsettle when she arrives back home, may not even take to the carer coming around, But if you forewarn the carers they have more understanding, good idea is to get a Key safe box installed outside your mother house, so they can let themselves in if your mother does not answer the door to them otherwise you’re going to have to get Keys cut like I did, I never realized how many different carer would be arriving.
Also try getting early morning 8am call from a career, also the latest call they can do in the evening. All you can do is give it a go, if it does not work out at lest you can look back & say “You tried it “