My mum

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Absolutely you did and are doing the right thing, what is in your mum's best interests @Aitchkbee
No way could you have taken your mum home, she needs medical care right now and a move to residential care will provide for her care needs
Your poor dad must be feeling such a mix of emotions, it's understandable one will be relief
You have both done all you could and will continue to stand by your mum
Be gentle with yourself

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Of course you have done the right thing and Im glad that her finger will probably be saved.

You have done everything you can. Her dementia is now obvious to everyone.
I hope it all gets sorted out soon.

Aitchkbee

Dec 26, 2018
Hi everyone - update on Mum.

This afternoon, while still in hospital on a dementia ward, she was detained under section 2 of the mental health act and is now being moved to an assessment centre at a different hospital. My understanding is that this can last up to 28 days but I don't know what might happen next? I had no idea that the mental health act could apply to patients with dementia - is this a common link? Mum has frontotemporal lobe dementia which obviously affects behaviour and communication etc; is this why they have used the mental health act? The lady that called me today said that she would have to talk to Dad about it as he is the next of kin - but he won't understand it all - or possibly even hear her? Is there a way that I can get them to talk to me?

Sorry for all the questions, there is just so much to take in and I don't know where to start. I do know that without this forum to go to, since December, I would be feeling a lot more lost than I am now.

x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad was put on a section 2 in hospital simply because he was unsafe to go home. No behaviour problems as such just frailty and confusion. It was the best thing for him. After the section Social Services had a duty to find him suitable care.

Don’t worry about the sectioning it means that hospital cannot discharge your mum until she has been assessed and suitable care arranged for her either at home or in a carehome.

If you accompany your dad he can give permission for you to be spoken to if he prefers this. I found speakerphone useful if it’s not a face to face meeting.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Aitchkbee
just to add to Bunpoots suggestion ... might your dad write letters (ie you print out and he signs) saying that he gives permission as husband and Attorney? for you to speak for him, be spoken to and consulted in health and welfare matters regarding his wife, maybe with an explanation of why ... one could go to her GP and others to anyone involved, reserving one each for you and your dad to keep with you
may or may not help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonyati