My mum won't eat

Edders58

May 7, 2019
Hi I'm new to this site. My mum has been ill since Saturday saying she feels tired and doesn't want to eat. She's been checked by paramedics and they think it was a tummy bug. She's stopped being sick now but won't eat. Any advice welcome
Lyn

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Make sure she drinks, in the first instance. Then fortify these then tempt with small treats. X

ChocolateBrownie

Nov 21, 2018
@AliceA - you don't say how old your mum is. But don't give up on her, just because medics do. Dad stopped eating in hospital for a while, and lost a worrying amount of weight, but when he came out and we could give him his favorite things he perked up again and put it back on again.

Edders58

May 7, 2019
She's 85and was diagnosed two years ago. She eats normally but we think she forgets to drink.then she gets ill. This time I'm struggling to coax her with anything but tomorrow is another day. I'll go shopping for something tempting

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Picky bits, Anything- sweet/savoury - bite size bits , just leave them for her to graze on. See if she picks when you are not looking. Used to get a lot into My late mother that way

lemonade, flat or fizzy settles the tummy if she'll drink it

Edders58

May 7, 2019
Picky bits, Anything- sweet/savoury - bite size bits , just leave them for her to graze on. See if she picks when you are not looking. Used to get a lot into My late mother that way

lemonade, flat or fizzy settles the tummy if she'll drink it
Thank you

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I do agree about not giving in, my husband lost weight rapidly after pneumonia was treated in hospital.
I was told he would never get it back. I ignored the advice about adding sugar and cream to his diet. I did add a little but only to make things more palatable.
I fortified by using by adding eggs and low fat milk powder to many foods. I could not get ensure on prescription but some gave me some as she no longer needed it. I made blended soups and smoothies. Puddings etc. Mini meals and snacks helped.
So there are ways to feed well. Now on can buy a tasteless organic grass fed bone broth powder. This is high in protein and soothes the gut too.
But as well as not giving in, Life is about letting go too, it is a very fine balance, a very personal one.
Feed up yes, but feed your own inner resources to cope if this fails. We can do our best but only that.
I have got my husband back and fit several times but each episode takes longer. Be patient.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad lost 3 stone last year before being diagnosed with oesophagus cancer. He had lived on ensure for 4 months. He had a stent fitted and regained all of the lost weight by Christmas. January he had a 3 week stay in hospital for pneumonia and lost 2 stone, be has since put a stone back on. As others have said little and often with every thing fortified. Calories are the friend.

Gavinbirdy

Aug 7, 2019
When my dad won't eat, we just get whatever he likes. Mostly finger foods...chicken fingers, french fries & don't forger the shake...etc He will say he isn't hungry but when we give it to him...he eats it all. At this point, as long as he is eating.

BBJ1959

Aug 11, 2019
SUFFOLK
Hi, My wife of 10 years who is 60 and who has had noticeable memory problems since 2016 and received a diagnosis of Alzheimer's this April has over the last few months started to have "eating problems" .
I've always done most of the cooking because its something I enjoy and I'm told I'm pretty good at it but my wife has started turning up her nose at food I have cooked many times in the past and she has eaten with gusto but I make it again a week or two later and she's loved it so now I have a simple back up meal so that she eats something.
Also I'll take on the suggestions you guys have given Edders58.

John

SKD

My Mum lost a lot of weight when she was in hospital earlier this year - only really eating when I fed her - I was worried that she might be forgetting how to eat but now she is settled in a new nursing home she is eating with gusto and feeding herself. The home goes for little and often with plenty of snacks mid morning and afternoon and at supper time. It may just be that she needs to settle again - remember many of us have times when we don't really fancy food particularly if we have been ill.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77