My Mum suddenly can't walk

Loumag

Aug 8, 2016
About two weeks ago literally overnight my Mum lost the ability to walk - on the Friday she was fine and by Saturday she couldnt walk and unless supported just fell. Staff in her care home wondered if the fact that she had just got a zimmer frame to help her walk had just "thrown" her, but obviously this is not the case.She did have a UTI but is now finished antibiotics for that - she has Lewy Body Dementia - I wondered if anyone else has experienced this sudden deterioration? Her shake is also worse especially when she gets anxious - any thoughts would be most welcome ....thanks!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't know @Loumag but I do know it can be caused by a number if thing.

Your mum could still be getting over the effects of the UTI which seems able to cause havoc in people with dementia.Even though she has finished the anti bionics she may still have some infection left in her body.

It could be the effects of any other medication she may be taken.

It could be a progression of her dementia. I know little about Dementia with Lewy bodies but it does seem to show differing symptoms to the more common forms of dementia.

If the doctors are unable to reassure you I suppose it will be a case of wait to see if she recovers her mobility in a few weeks.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Yes this happened to my Mum just over two weeks ago.
Mum 77 has Alz and in care 2 yrs.
Basically she went from OK, to one day very sleepy and leanjng to one side.
Next morning she couldnt weight bare or walk. She continued to sleep off & on.
Staff were not able to obtain a UTI sample but blood test was fine. They even had her checked over for a stroke and Xrayed for fractures. They were talking Alzheimers shut down.
Staff had to use a hoist and special mattress & chair.
They started her on anti Bs anyway and within 4 days was much more alert and walking but slower.
She hasnt recovered to where she was before, having to be fed by staff and her talking is much more jumbled.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, my OH had a sudden loss of mobility, went into hospital and from there to a nursing home as he couldn't be rehabilitated. It was the beginning of the end for him.

Loumag

Aug 8, 2016
I don't know @Loumag but I do know it can be caused by a number if thing.

Your mum could still be getting over the effects of the UTI which seems able to cause havoc in people with dementia.Even though she has finished the anti bionics she may still have some infection left in her body.

It could be the effects of any other medication she may be taken.

It could be a progression of her dementia. I know little about Dementia with Lewy bodies but it does seem to show differing symptoms to the more common forms of dementia.

If the doctors are unable to reassure you I suppose it will be a case of wait to see if she recovers her mobility in a few weeks.

Loumag

Aug 8, 2016
Thanks everyone for your replies - I appreciate your comments - this has been going on for a fortnight now, so perhaps it's just the next stage in the progression of this terrible illness....time will tell

Loumag

Aug 8, 2016
Yes this happened to my Mum just over two weeks ago.
Mum 77 has Alz and in care 2 yrs.
Basically she went from OK, to one day very sleepy and leanjng to one side.
Next morning she couldnt weight bare or walk. She continued to sleep off & on.
Staff were not able to obtain a UTI sample but blood test was fine. They even had her checked over for a stroke and Xrayed for fractures. They were talking Alzheimers shut down.
Staff had to use a hoist and special mattress & chair.
They started her on anti Bs anyway and within 4 days was much more alert and walking but slower.
She hasnt recovered to where she was before, having to be fed by staff and her talking is much more jumbled.
This is exactly what happened to Mum - the leaning to one side too - My Mum is'nt making much sense since this happened too - I hope your Mum improves

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
@Loumag wondered how your Mum was doing?
My Mum is still walking but slower and her body is quite stiff.
When you hold her hand she has quite a grip. Her talking is a bit of a jumble still. Every now and then she will come out with a 4-5 word sentence thar makes sense.
Shes on same medication but much more sleepy.
After staff struggling to take her dentures out to clean, they now cant get them back in.
A massive decline yet again all due to a UTI!

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
This has just happened to my Mum. I knew I’d seen a thread which described the leaning to one side. On Tuesday this week she was dancing at a memory cafe. She’s been fine all week then when I’ve got her up this morning she is leaning to one side, needs help to walk and I’ve had to feed her her breakfast. It’s frightening how things can suddenly go so downhill.