My mum refuses to go to the GP

Tonie

Apr 14, 2015
My mum has suffered with some sort of dementia for maybe 10 years now but has always been good enough to cover it with her GP and at home blame my dad for it being him or not hearing etc, the usual repetition, getting round conversations with , you know who I mean,, until about two months ago when she has become a completely different person, completely confused, can't remember names, doesn't know her own husband , can't do anything properly, it's scary!
So my dad called the GP, made an appointment and through so much persuasion she still wouldn't go! Told my dad, leave me to die! So he phoned back and begged for a home visit and even on explaining the whole symptoms, the doctor refused and said unless it's because she's immobile, it's an infringement of her human rights! I'm sorry but if she was a risk to health in other mental health circumstances I'm sure this rule would be breached, it's not fair on my dad, I'm trying to help on days off, but where's the duty of care? Can anybody shine a light on this situation? We are desperate! Thank you!

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
The attitude of some GPs really makes me despair!

Have you tried talking to Social Services about the situation?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Makes me mad! How about Dads human rights. How about the old one, the well woman clinic to some such?

Kon Dealer

Account Closed
Apr 25, 2015
My mum has suffered with some sort of dementia for maybe 10 years now but has always been good enough to cover it with her GP and at home blame my dad for it being him or not hearing etc, the usual repetition, getting round conversations with , you know who I mean,, until about two months ago when she has become a completely different person, completely confused, can't remember names, doesn't know her own husband , can't do anything properly, it's scary!
So my dad called the GP, made an appointment and through so much persuasion she still wouldn't go! Told my dad, leave me to die! So he phoned back and begged for a home visit and even on explaining the whole symptoms, the doctor refused and said unless it's because she's immobile, it's an infringement of her human rights! I'm sorry but if she was a risk to health in other mental health circumstances I'm sure this rule would be breached, it's not fair on my dad, I'm trying to help on days off, but where's the duty of care? Can anybody shine a light on this situation? We are desperate! Thank you!

My Father and I had exactly the same problem- it is a real "catch 22". We knew mum was very ill, but she refused to see the GP. We begged the GP to see her, even to the extent of my father arranging a home visit to see him so that he could show the GP my mother. No chance! The GP even threatened to take us off his lists. It was only when my mother fell and went to hospital, we managed to get a psychiatric review done and my mother was promptly sectioned. You can imagine what it had been like. Of course no apology from the GP.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
So my dad called the GP, made an appointment and through so much persuasion she still wouldn't go! Told my dad, leave me to die! So he phoned back and begged for a home visit and even on explaining the whole symptoms, the doctor refused and said unless it's because she's immobile, it's an infringement of her human rights!
Tonie I am sorry to hear this, yes my mother refuses to go and see her GP, she says she is housebound. Didn't take up the free flu jab <why bother I never see anyone anyway and I want to die> (dad died 3 1/2yrs ago) I live 50 miles away and can't keep dropping by as I also work and my husband has Parkinsons, I am his carer. Mums doctor so far has been good to visit but never thought of the "infringement on human rights"