My mum refuses to go doctors

Mumof2boys76

Feb 2, 2019
How can I get my mum help she refuses to go doctors she has memory loss where I have to remind her to do basic hygiene stuff and weird behaviour

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Mumof2boys76 welcome to TP
One of the things suggested here on TP is to ask the GP to call her in for a well woman check and see how it goes from there.
It does involve informing the GP of your concerns and your Mum turning up for the appointment.
Have you got Lasting Power of Attorney for your Mum? If not maybe something you should consider.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Mumof2boys76 . What I did was hijack an appointment my mother already had for her GP and go along with a letter outlining my concerns. At that point (eleven months ago) the GP wasn't concerned as mum 'passed' the mini memory test he gave her. After several further appointments where we got mum to talk about the things that concerned us (she is convinced her neighbours are in her house moving things) we got GP to refer mum to the memory clinic. So you may have to be persistent if the first visit doesn't get anywhere,

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
My mum would never have gone to the doctor about her memory problems. As far as she was concerned her memory was great. So I told her there was a particularly nasty flu on the way and that we were going to see the GP to get our jabs.

I'd already seen her GP by then and expressed my concerns about my mum's memory and behaviours. The GP couldn't discuss her with me but listened and was primed to do a mini memory test when I brought her in. She failed every question.

To cut a long story short, my mum did have the blood test the GP needed to rule out non dementia stuff and I managed to con her into going to the memory clinic appointment that followed, but that's as far as I got. She flatly refused to go for a scan.

The result of the above was a diagnosis of Alzheimer's. She was in the system and prescribed medication. This, however, changed little in any practical way. She refused to take the medication and wouldn't engage with the carers or with any help that was on offer. She remained convinced that she was absolutely fine, even when, eventually, I moved her into a care home. In her mind, the care home was her house, the carers her staff.

Mumof2boys76

Feb 2, 2019
Hello @Mumof2boys76 welcome to TP
One of the things suggested here on TP is to ask the GP to call her in for a well woman check and see how it goes from there.
It does involve informing the GP of your concerns and your Mum turning up for the appointment.
Have you got Lasting Power of Attorney for your Mum? If not maybe something you should consider.
I don't have a power of attorney but I will try the well woman appointment ill keep you up dated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart