My Mum is sleeping all the time.

Mother goose

Jul 5, 2012
Co.Sligo, Ireland
My Mum was 90 in October & has been in our local nursing home for 5 years now. The last few months she is sleeping a lot & has lost weight. Sadly, she doesn't have any conversation anymore & just sits in her chair. She was about 9 & a half stone when she went into the Nursing home. When I saw her this morning, she was weighed by a carer & is now 7 & a half stone. The nurse said, she's eating very little, as sleeping so much. The carers are now having to feed her & told me she only has a few mouthfuls.It's so hard to see her going downhill. I'm sure all daughters' & sons', feel the same with their Mum's or Dad's, in the same situation. I know what you are all going through. Is this the final stages of Alzheimers?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My Mum was 90 in October & has been in our local nursing home for 5 years now. The last few months she is sleeping a lot & has lost weight. Sadly, she doesn't have any conversation anymore & just sits in her chair. She was about 9 & a half stone when she went into the Nursing home. When I saw her this morning, she was weighed by a carer & is now 7 & a half stone. The nurse said, she's eating very little, as sleeping so much. The carers are now having to feed her & told me she only has a few mouthfuls.It's so hard to see her going downhill. I'm sure all daughters' & sons', feel the same with their Mum's or Dad's, in the same situation. I know what you are all going through. Is this the final stages of Alzheimers?

Dad 90 is still at home with me looking after him and he sleeps for at least 20 hours a day, probably more to be honest and he has been like this for about 10 months. He eats very little but I suppose that he needs very little because he rarely moves. He gets up in the morning goes to the bathroom then to his chair where he stays until bedtime when he goes to the bathroom and then gets into bed.

I don't think that dad is at end of life yet so your mum may not be either. It is still an awful thing to watch though and I don't know how they go on like it.

Mother goose

Jul 5, 2012
Co.Sligo, Ireland
Dad 90 is still at home with me looking after him and he sleeps for at least 20 hours a day, probably more to be honest and he has been like this for about 10 months. He eats very little but I suppose that he needs very little because he rarely moves. He gets up in the morning goes to the bathroom then to his chair where he stays until bedtime when he goes to the bathroom and then gets into bed.

I don't think that dad is at end of life yet so your mum may not be either. It is still an awful thing to watch though and I don't know how they go on like it.

Thank you for your reply, Duggies-girl. Your Dad sounds exactly like my Mum. I agree with you, it is awful to watch. All we can do, is be there for them & make sure they are comfortable & safe.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My OH is 76 and has Alzheimer’s and seems to sleep or nod off every few minutes while here at home. It can be for minutes or hours and longest seated in her armchair is three and a half hours. The main problem is that this in turn affects her sleep pattern at night and she is invariably awake at 3 o’clock most mornings and downstairs watching TV and seemingly waiting for me to come down so that she can rant at me as she hasn't had any sleep. After breakfast of course she is back in dozing/sleeping mode. Makes life stressful and lonely.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad sleeps all day with his chin on his chest, watches a couple of quiz shows intermittently in the evening. Goes to bed, sleeps like a log all night and gets up sometime in the afternoon.

It's no life at all but he is perfectly happy.