My Mum is on the move....

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear friends who have followed my traumas of the last year:

- when I put my Mum and Dad in a lovely care home.
- my Mum was violent and had to be sectioned and accommodated in the psyschiatric unit of the local NHS hospital.
- my Dad died a beautiful peaceful death at the care home.

Anyway, hopefully things are now taking a turn for the better because Mum moves into a lovely EMI care home on Monday, lovely position, lovely staff, beautiful gardens for her to wander in, I just hope it's not too good to be true.

Just keeping fingers crossed that if Mum reacts violently that they will be experienced at dealing with that; I don't want to see her back at the hospital again.

Thanks for all the support everyone.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Fifi, that's wonderful news!:)

I'm sure as it's an EMI unit they'll be able to cope if your mum does react badly.

I know in John's unit, when someone new is admitted, they get almost one-to-one care until they settle, and the staff will be used to violent outbursts.

You must feel so relieved to have found such a good place for her. Be prepared for some teething troubles, but I'm sure it'll work ou well for you both.

Love,

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Thanks Hazel and Lynne, loved the typing errors!

Yes Hazel, I am hoping that they will be able to cope better than the place I put her and Dad last year. I see from her assessment that she has "complex needs requiring extra staff at times" - not sure what that means really, but it sounds as though they have the full picture!

I just got back from taking some photos of the garden etc that I'll show to Mum when I see her tomorrow.

Fxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
That is good news - I am sure it will work well for you

Hopefully this is a good turning point for you, your Mum should be well cared for - then hopefully you can relax a little.
Best wishes Jan

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Fiona, glad that there is some sunshine on the horizon for both mum and you.

I have a feeling that things will works out O.K. this time.:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Fiona

I will be thinking about you and your mother on Monday, with everything crossed. I do hope she settles.
Love xx

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Wishing you both...

the very best for Monday, and at least three smiles for every tear over the last year. let's hope this is the start of happier times for you both

Firebelle

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Dear Fiona,

Hope all goes well for you and Mum on Monday. Fingers crossed here also that she will be beautifully calm in her lovely new home (if it's EMI they will know how to handle complex needs)and that you can relax a little.

Take care.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Fiona,
This does sound like the right place. Give your mum time to settle in and give yourself time to settle too. It works both ways :).

she has "complex needs requiring extra staff at times"

Sounds like they know what to do. Here's to your mum being happy there.

Love,

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Thanks everyone for your kind wishes, I'm getting quite nervous about tomorrow. I asked a neighbour (who is a nurse) what "complex needs" meant and she said it was just a polite way of saying that my mum needed constant supervision by one person, if not two, all the time.

Just pray she settles there as I don't really see what other option there might be.

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Time will tell

Hello friends,

Well my Mum arrived at the home and I was there to welcome her, which she found a nice surprise. I had sorted out her room before she arrived. She seemed to like it and asked how long she would be staying (we told her she is going there to convalesce).

Then I took her into the garden and the weather was so lovely we sat there all afternoon drinking tea and chatting to the other residents/visitors which was lovely. She then asked to be taken home as she was worried about my father (who died in February) so I arranged for the nurse in charge that we would take her into the lounge/dining room where supper was to be served shortly. She asked when she was going home and the nurse persuaded her to have supper first. Then I left.

So far, so good. I will go back tomorrow morning to see how things are, but keeping my fingers crossed. They have arranged for my Mum to pair up with (and sit at the same table as) a lovely lady so let's hope that all works out.l I have such vivid memories of her violence last year, I fear it will return.

Thanks again for all the messages of support.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Fifi

Glad you had such a good afternoon. It sounds as if you had covered all bases, so let's hope your mum settles. It will help if she gets on well with this lady.

Well done!:)

Love,

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
I'm in shock........

Went to see Mum today and she greeted me with the words "Isn't it lovely here? Aren't I lucky?".

Well we were all lucky it was a nice day and most of the residents were out in the garden, including Mum who loves her gardening. I just pray that we have a long hot summer, as the more time she can spend in the garden, the more time she will have to settle.

So fingers crossed (I will need that as she is still not happy about taking her medication).

Love to all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife