My Mum is in respite any help appreciated

gillian69

Sep 7, 2006
Cambridgeshire
Hi

My mum is now in respite for 2 weeks and would appreciate anyones advice.
They have prescribed Lorazapan, 1/2 tablet 3 times aday to control her aggressive attitudes.
We visited her on Saturday and she looked so at home, relaxed not worried about anything, didnt even seem to know her dog Suzie when my dad brought her in.

My question is there is a meeting tomorrow with the staff from the home, her doctor, consultant, dad, sister and brother?

Does anyone know what this meeting will entail, any advice needed please?:)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:
I am expecting a similar review next week at the end of my husband's respite. I think it is to report to carers and family how the person is 'seen'. They will check medication, whether a care package is needed or changed and if someone is getting to NH stage that will be discussed too.

In my husband's case I am expecting just a general report on how he has been and to say all is well for the moment - and probably to give me another date for respite.

I do not think there is any cause for worry - these people usually have the carer's interest at heart.

Love Jan

gillian69

Sep 7, 2006
Cambridgeshire
Hi

Thanks for your response, what is NH Stage?

Lots of questions this is my dads first respit and doesnt know what to expect.

Thanks

Gillian

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
They have prescribed Lorazapan, 1/2 tablet 3 times aday to control her aggressive attitudes

My mother never had any meeting when at respite . Was the medication prescribed while in the respite care home ?

May be thats why there are having a meeting .

Was your mother behavior aggressive before she went into respite ?

Nursing home

gillian69

Sep 7, 2006
Cambridgeshire
Hi

Yes, my mum was aggressive towards everybody includy my dad, me, sister,dog and anyone who challenged her.
My dad was struggling and is ok but had a few problems with his heart.
They had originally put her in respite and advised us we needed to collect her? She was then taken by my brother to this other home, within hours they had her on Lorazapan?

Just wondered if anyone had any info on these meeting. " For armed is for warned" as i see it.

Thanks

Gillian:confused:

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It sounds a bit unlikely that if mum was so agressive in respite, that she was moved to another home, are you sure this wasn't an assessment ward or similar?

Often is someone is so challenging, they will be moved to such - sometimes on a "section" (this means, against their wishes, if necessary) and stay there whilst medication is sorted out which may or may not allow discharge home or into long-term care. Such a discharge will always involve sorting out a "care package", no-one can be discharged without one.

Lorazepam (like Valium) is normally used as a "stop gap" measure, because it loses it's effect afer a while and can be addictive. Normally it would be used temporarily to relieve agitation and agression while something better is sorted out.

My guess is that it will be a meeting to decide on the best course for your mum's long-term care.

The will probably start with updating you on how they feel about your mum's condition, medication etc.

They will then probably give an opinion on what they would regard as the best way to move forward with mum's care, and see how you - as mum's carers and "nearest relatives" feel about the options that are available.

Will a social worker be at the meeting as well?