My mum is in N/H & now has MRSA bug

Mother goose

Jul 5, 2012
Co.Sligo, Ireland
My 85 year old Mum has been in N/H for 6 months now. Thankfully she's settled, although constantly asks me, when is she going home. She's physically fit & eating regular meals now, but her memory has got a lot worse. When she started at the N/H she was wearing size 12 trousers, I recently had to buy her size 16.

A few months ago, she was quite unwell for 11 days & the GP told me she'd had a mini stroke & put her on aspirin. Thankfully, she didn't have any problems after & doesn't remember anything about it.

Last few months she's had swollen ankles & red blotches on her lower legs & was given antibiotics, as one of the blotches became inflamed. Her skin is itchy & she constantly keeps scratching her legs. I have mentioned it to the nurses many times, they tell me her legs are ok.

I went to visit my Mum Thursday & the nurse said she was going to ring me the eve before, said the GP had done a swab of her leg & she has an infection. That it's MRSA bug & given antibiotics, cream for her nose & her legs, also elastic socks to stop her scratching. But every time the carers or nurses put them on, she takes them off. I went into her room & got her to change her clothes, as they were a bit dirty. She doesn't seem to notice if her clothes have stains on them. She used to be so neat, clean & tidy, before the alzheimers.

I looked at her legs & they were very red & sore. I asked one of the carers if she had any elastic socks & she went & got a pair. She then put cream on my mum's legs & the socks on. I did offer to do it as she was busy, said she'd do it.

On leaving N/H, I asked the nurse if others can get the MRSA. She said, only if you have an open wound. I mentioned to her that I have an auto-immune condition, called Sjogrens Syndrome & it causes me quite a few health problems. She said, not to touch my mum's clothes & not to do her personal cleaning etc. I had already dealt with her clothes, but I was very glad I hadn't put the cream on her legs. She never used to be a cuddly person, but every time I go in, she insists on hugging & kissing me. I'm worried about close contact, in case in can be passed on. How can I tell her, not to do it. Does anyone know if MRSA can be passed on by very close contact?

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Lots of people carry MRSA it is harmless unless you get a wound. That's why people are screened now before going into hospital for an operation unless it's an emergency. If someone has it then they use nasal sprays and washes to clear the body from it.
I would imagine the cream is for dry skin? To keep her skin supple so it doesn't break down and the stockings are to prevent fluid retention. They are tight so that's probably why she keeps taking them off as they can be warm and not as comfortable as having nothing on her legs.
As for your specific condition I would wash your hands before dealing with anything to do with mum, wear a plastic apron, wash your hands again after dealing with anything to do with mum as a basic level of protection for you both. I would talk to your GP too, see what he/she thinks about your condition and the possible effects of MRSA. I would feel more comfortable personally if it were myself that I was screened too. That way if I did have it I could be treated too and a) be free of it and b) not reinfect mum.
Hope this helps and doesn't worry you too much. X

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Before and after. Physical contact or not.

I thought, like most hospitals now, that it was standard practice to do so anyway.

Mother goose

Jul 5, 2012
Co.Sligo, Ireland
Lots of people carry MRSA it is harmless unless you get a wound. That's why people are screened now before going into hospital for an operation unless it's an emergency. If someone has it then they use nasal sprays and washes to clear the body from it.
I would imagine the cream is for dry skin? To keep her skin supple so it doesn't break down and the stockings are to prevent fluid retention. They are tight so that's probably why she keeps taking them off as they can be warm and not as comfortable as having nothing on her legs.
As for your specific condition I would wash your hands before dealing with anything to do with mum, wear a plastic apron, wash your hands again after dealing with anything to do with mum as a basic level of protection for you both. I would talk to your GP too, see what he/she thinks about your condition and the possible effects of MRSA. I would feel more comfortable personally if it were myself that I was screened too. That way if I did have it I could be treated too and a) be free of it and b) not reinfect mum.
Hope this helps and doesn't worry you too much. X

Thank you for your advice, Susy. My mum scratched her legs so much, that she made them bleed. I assume the cream is to help that clear up & to stop them getting too dry. As my mum's memory has got worse, she doesn't remember why she has to wear the socks.

I'm just glad that she's healthy, in every other way & hope that the antibiotics & nasal spray get rid of the infection. We live in Southern Ireland & our son is getting married on Saturday in England. We were going to take my mum & I've spoken to the nurses & her GP they said not to take her as she is in a routine now, it would upset her & confuse her too. I couldn't take her as she has the infection now & there could be a risk of another mini stroke. The staff advised me not to tell her that we are going to the wedding. So it is going to be very hard leaving her, as we are going over Thursday & back on the Monday. I know she will be well looked after & has lovely food & plenty of it & activities. All the nurses & carers are lovely & I have got to know them all. I chat with the other residents too & they all seem very happy there. It's just sad, that she would have loved to be there & our son asked me, could we bring Nan over.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Husband went through a phase of swollen ankles and split, blotchy, inflamed lower legs at his NH - I creamed his legs each day with Medihoney Barrier Cream which had been used on him when he was first in hospital - it certainly helped. I thought at first it was all due to the under floor heating but was told that it was MRSA even before a swab was taken due to his compromised immune system. He was then put onto multiple ABs for his recurrent UTIs and the legs cleared up. Do take care yourself. Thinking of you WIFE

Mother goose

Jul 5, 2012
Co.Sligo, Ireland
Husband went through a phase of swollen ankles and split, blotchy, inflamed lower legs at his NH - I creamed his legs each day with Medihoney Barrier Cream which had been used on him when he was first in hospital - it certainly helped. I thought at first it was all due to the under floor heating but was told that it was MRSA even before a swab was taken due to his compromised immune system. He was then put onto multiple ABs for his recurrent UTIs and the legs cleared up. Do take care yourself. Thinking of you WIFE

Thank you WIFE, for your reply. I'm glad your husband's legs cleared up. Hope he is doing ok now. As I've an immune condition, I'd be afraid to put cream on for my mum. I had a chest inf in March, lasted 3 wks & feel I could be getting another now. The immune condition can affect any part of the body, including the lungs. Has even affected my hearing the last 7 years & I now have to wear hearing aids.

What part of West Sussex do you live in? We lived in Worthing for 9 years, before moving to my husbands home place, here in Ireland. Our son still lives there & his wedding on Saturday is in Tarring & Duncton Mills, Petworth. It will be hard to leave my mum in her N/H, but I'm so looking forward to seeing my son, his wife to be, my little granddaughter, my eldest son, his wife & their little boy. They are expecting their 2nd baby in 2 weeks time. I really can't wait to see them all.