My mum is in hospital

Springy12

Apr 27, 2014
Warrington
Hello.
4 weeks ago my mum started getting very confused and muddled and hallucinating pretty badly. We got a water sample test done which came back showing an infection, so started on antibiotics for a week- there was no improvement in how she was.
She also had an ulcer on her leg which was weeping badly and being monitored by the district nurses.
I ended up calling the doctor out urgently as something was definitely not right. She has just the day before been diagnosed with Diabetes as well- don't know how long she'd had it before being diagnosed.
So now she has been in hospital since 21.08.15 being treated for her leg ulcer- which was infected, diabetes and water infection. She is so muddled and confused its hard to have a proper conversation with her at the moment. The doctors have said it can take at least 3 weeks for symptoms to go once the infections have cleared up, but I am so worried that she is like this permanently. She is on the dementia ward and the people are lovely but we want her home.
I have been so stressed I have spots everywhere, which the doctor say is from stress, im not sleeping and not eating properly and have now been signed off work for 2 weeks- I am a wreck and can't stop crying.
I feel so sorry for my mum and we are not sure whether she will ever be allowed home again which is so sad as she loves her little flat and has two cats that she adores.
Does anyone have any experience of anything similar with infections and whether people do recover enough to go home.
I feel so guilty carrying on with my life knowing mum is so muddled up and stuck in hospital.
Any help of advise would be greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
My mum was in hospital twice with infections. Both times she has been incredibly confused and not really with us at all. I also worried that it was permanent and the second time she went to hospital i thought she was going to die. She bounced back eventually and is now fairly happy and stable. Please dont give up jope. Like babies, elderly people can get sick very quickly and also get better quickly too. Try to take it all a day at a time.

Springy12

Apr 27, 2014
Warrington
thanks

My mum was in hospital twice with infections. Both times she has been incredibly confused and not really with us at all. I also worried that it was permanent and the second time she went to hospital i thought she was going to die. She bounced back eventually and is now fairly happy and stable. Please dont give up jope. Like babies, elderly people can get sick very quickly and also get better quickly too. Try to take it all a day at a time.

Thanks for your reply. I know we have to wait to see if things settle but its so hard not knowing whats going to happen.
How long did it take your mum to come back round?

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
The first time about 7 days the secondcabout three weeks. She needed a second set if antibiotics for a chest infection. Try not to worry about what might happen as often it never comes to pass. Focus on today and tomorrow and what you CAN do. Its very hard. Keep your chin up.