My mum is gone

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
I haven't been on TP for a long time but felt the need to come back to share the news that my beloved mum passed away a week ago today. She was 67 years old. My dad & I were by her side.
Dementia has been a part of our lives for so long that I don't quite know what to do with myself. It has been a long, heartbreaking journey.
I went to see mum's body at the funeral director's on Tuesday & it was the first time in almost 10 years that I have seen my mum look truly peaceful.
Although the pain of losing her is almost unbearable, I am so glad for her that her living hell is finally over.

Auntie Mame

Jan 24, 2016
I haven't been on TP for a long time but felt the need to come back to share the news that my beloved mum passed away a week ago today. She was 67 years old. My dad & I were by her side.
Dementia has been a part of our lives for so long that I don't quite know what to do with myself. It has been a long, heartbreaking journey.
I went to see mum's body at the funeral director's on Tuesday & it was the first time in almost 10 years that I have seen my mum look truly peaceful.
Although the pain of losing her is almost unbearable, I am so glad for her that her living hell is finally over.

I'm a new contributor here, but I suspect an announcement such as this is common, as dementia victims don't always live very long. Reading it, we who are carers put ourselves in your shoes, for that day will come. God bless you.

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
Thanks Kassy
Mum fought hard right up to the end. She completely lost the ability to swallow any foods or liquids last Monday & it took her until 6.30 on Friday morning to finally pass.

In many ways she has been gone for a long time- unable to recognise any of us or to communicate for almost 4 years- & yet I can't believe how much I miss just her physical presence. In times of trouble, even though she couldn't say or do anything, I instinctively went to her in the home & just sat quietly by her side & told her my worries.
I thought I was prepared for her loss but nothing can ever really prepare you. It hurts like hell & yet I am glad she is no longer suffering.

Xxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I am so sorry for your loss Kazza. I suspect the mixed feelings are common - glad that your loved one is no longer suffering but heartbroken that they have gone from your life. Please be very kind to yourself.

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
Im So sorry for your loss Kazza, but glad your mum is finally at peace. It will be a big adjustment in your life, youve been on such a long journey together; do be kind to yourself, thinking of you x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news. Sending my condolences and wishing you strength for the days to come.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Condolences to you and your family. But also glad that your mum is now free of her illness. Take care. xx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
My thoughts are with you at this sad time. I'm glad you saw that you were at last able to see that your mum was truly at peace.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Kazza so sad to hear your news, sending you a hug and one for your Dad too xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I'm so sorry to read your sad news, but it was good that you and your Dad were with her, and she is now free from pain. May her dear sweet soul Rest In Peace xxx

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
So sorry for your loss. Im glad you abd your dad have each other to lean on. Sending you strength for the days ahead.

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
Hi Kazza my mum also passed away a week ago today. Relieved the dreadful suffering is over but heartbroken I will never see her again. Thoughts are with you xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I remember your previous posts Kazza and how your Mum, you and your family suffered through this terrible disease. I'm glad that you saw your Mum is now at peace-I wish you strength to see you through your grief.

Love,

Lyn T XX

Chantilly

Jan 29, 2016
Australia
Thanks Kassy
Mum fought hard right up to the end. She completely lost the ability to swallow any foods or liquids last Monday & it took her until 6.30 on Friday morning to finally pass.

In many ways she has been gone for a long time- unable to recognise any of us or to communicate for almost 4 years- & yet I can't believe how much I miss just her physical presence. In times of trouble, even though she couldn't say or do anything, I instinctively went to her in the home & just sat quietly by her side & told her my worries.
I thought I was prepared for her loss but nothing can ever really prepare you. It hurts like hell & yet I am glad she is no longer suffering.

Xxx

Dear Kazza. I am s new member and haven't been aware of your writings before. Please accept my warmest heartfelt sympathy. My sister passed last week and her condition sounds like your mum's. My sister was diagnosed with. FTD and she suffered for 8 long drawn out painful years. I agree with you no amount of expectation can prepare you for the amount of pain that is in our hearts for someone that was so close to you. Her final days were like you described and I was there to help her pass over. I brushed her hair before her final breath and I think that it made relax and let go. My god the aching is awful in our bodies for losing our loved ones but I want to believe there is a place for her free of pain. I feel for you. They both left us on the same day.
Xxx

Last edited: