My mum is between a rock and a hard place

Webbity

Jan 5, 2019
Hello

My dad has dementia and is constantly angry, rude, and totally misunderstanding everything. I am schizophrenic: I am not an easy person to deal with myself. I have always been weak-willed, when it comes to biting my tongue, with regards to his relentless provocations. I need to be more supportive for my mum, who is coping brilliantly, but it is compromising her quality of life. My psychiatrist's advice was for me to take more tranquilizers, but this is not a viable solution. I have read 3 help books on the subject, but whilst enlightening, they haven't really helped. Can anyone recommend any help books, please? Thanks. W.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Webbity, you are welcome here.

Whilst I can't suggest any help books I can say that you have come to the right place for understanding and support.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience so ask any question you like, or just vent feelings, when times get tough.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Webbity and welcome to Talkin Point.
Unfortunately being constantly angry, rude, and totally misunderstanding everything is normal in dementia. Your dad will not be aware that this is what he is doing and will understand the effect it will have on you. You are in a difficult situation.

I dont know if this suggestion will help and if it doesnt, feel free to ignore it, but many people have a long-standing thread that they use to write down what happens as a sort of diary and they find it quite cathartic. So, when you get (understandably) riled, instead of saying it to your dad, could you say it on here?