My mum is at peace at last

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I joined Talking Point way back in 2011 I think. For me it was a real life saver, my mum had begun her awful journey and I didn’t know which way to turn, she and my dad lived with us and he was also in poor health.

My dearest mum passed away early this morning having been in her care home for just over nine years, having been formally diagnosed in 2009. She was 91. I am desperately sad that she has gone, but was able to sit with her yesterday afternoon. She was asleep the whole time, but did manage to open her eyes and squeeze my hand, I was able to tell her everything that I needed to and let her know that it was ok to finally go home. I was so glad that the care home had called to warn me and give me that opportunity to get to mum, as I live several hours away. I hadn’t seen her since November when we could last visit, but Whatsapped her almost every week, when she would shut her eyes, she just didn’t know it was me in the little screen, but at least I could see her!

When I got to her room, it was so welcoming, with her photos and cuddly toys, silk plants and all the things we’d put there over the years for her. Since COVID I’d been sending Touchnote photo cards telling her what we were doing and these were stuck on her wardrobe so she could see them from her bed and all round the shelves. I was so touched by how kind the staff were, she’d been there so long that they felt like family, so lovely to her and to me. It’s a good place, and we all know how dedicated the carers are and what they have to do, thank goodness for people like them. I’ve had emails of condolence from them and a past manager today, they miss mum and were sharing stories about her with laughs and tears.

So, my mums journey is at an end at last. I’m desperately sad, but this hateful disease has gradually taken her from me piece by piece, my best friend became someone who looked anxious the whole time, couldn’t speak, walk or do a single thing for herself, so I also feel glad that she is free and has been able to ‘go home’ after so many years.

The only benefit has been meeting real friends through Talking Point, five of us talk via a WhatsApp group every single day, and I am the last of us to lose their beloved mum; three of us have done so in the last few months. Talking Point is truly a lifeline, there is never a silly question, and you are never judged for what you say, and I thank every one who has ever replied to one of my questions or rants with understanding and kindness.

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
Please accept my condolences @Dazmum... I am pleased you were able to be with your mum and tell her everything you needed. It must be a comfort to you at this difficult time...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read your news @Dazmum. Such a sad time but I’m so glad you had that time with your mum.

Sending my condolences and wishing you strength.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I'm very sorry, @Dazmum - I remember meeting you in London in 2012 when my own Mum was starting to get very ill (you helped sort out the kerfuffle over the restaurant bill!) She died at Christmas 2016, after 6 years living with dementia and 15 years of chronic pain. Your poor Mum had a long time of it which I remember is very wearing for all concerned. I was beginning to think I had no emotional strength left to care for my mother any more when she died but regretted that thought afterwards. It has taken me four years and I still haven't completely come to terms with her passing: like your mother she was such a friend to me and such a big part of my life.

It does take a long time to process all that has happened - occasionally the sad times come back to me and catch me unawares but increasingly I am able to picture my Mum when she was younger and happy.

It was so good you could see your mother at the end and speak your heart to her. Wishing you strength for the times ahead.

Everest1969

Jan 9, 2021
My condolences to you. I am just beginning this journey with my parents, and it sounds as you gave your mum the best life she could have under the circumstances. Due to covid, I've not been able to visit my parents in the carehome yet, but reading about how you had your mum's room set up and all the things you did to make if home for her. makes we want to do something similar for my parents when I am able.

Suze99

Nov 8, 2020
So sorry for your loss. Glad you got to sit with your mum. It sounds like she was very well cared for and loved in her care home.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I'm very sorry, @Dazmum - I remember meeting you in London in 2012 when my own Mum was starting to get very ill (you helped sort out the kerfuffle over the restaurant bill!) She died at Christmas 2016, after 6 years living with dementia and 15 years of chronic pain. Your poor Mum had a long time of it which I remember is very wearing for all concerned. I was beginning to think I had no emotional strength left to care for my mother any more when she died but regretted that thought afterwards. It has taken me four years and I still haven't completely come to terms with her passing: like your mother she was such a friend to me and such a big part of my life.

It does take a long time to process all that has happened - occasionally the sad times come back to me and catch me unawares but increasingly I am able to picture my Mum when she was younger and happy.

It was so good you could see your mother at the end and speak your heart to her. Wishing you strength for the times ahead.
Thank you Nita, I remember you well from our meeting. It’s very true what you say, my husband and I were talking about mum today and wanted to make sure in her eulogy that we don’t focus on the dark days, I need to look through our family photos to remind me of the good days, there were many, but the dark ones are so many that they can take us over.

I’m sorry to hear about your mum too.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Dazmum . I didnt meet you in real life, but I remember you from Talking Point.

Im sorry for your loss, but I am glad you were able to be with her at the end and it sounds like she knew who you were
xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry to read your post @Dazmum

It`s lovely to hear how the care home kept your mums room so comfortable for her with all the things you`d bought around her. It`s also a gift you were able to be with her at the end.

Please accept my condolences.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
I am so sorry to read that your lovely mum has died. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thinking of you xx

I don’t often come on to this site but for some reason I did today, and this I guess was the reason

We all went through some tough times together through the years. Remember the happy times xx

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Thinking of you xx

I don’t often come on to this site but for some reason I did today, and this I guess was the reason

We all went through some tough times together through the years. Remember the happy times xx
Aah 2Jays, yes we all did. I hope that you and yours are well xxx

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
Sorry to read about your mum Dazmum but what a beautiful post ❤️ And how amazing they were at the care home ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacky290