My mum is a carer for her partner who has dementia and is an alcoholic

Mrs shugs

Jul 22, 2014
I am new to this site, my mum cares for my step dad who has dementia and is an alcoholic. Recently my step dads condition and his refusal to stop drinking is causing her real stress and I am really worried about her. I wondered what advice anyone could give on how I might be able to get some help for my mum so that she can get some support and have a break for a few hours or even a day??

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Hello Mrs shugs, and welcome to Talking Point...

Poor Mum & Step Dad - I know quite a lot about alcoholism, but am only learning about dementia.

Has he been diagnosed or seen a Doctor ?

How does he get his alcohol ?

Elizabeth.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Has he got Korsakoff's syndrome or alcoholic dementia?
There is a very good factsheet here: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=98

Has he had a proper diagnosis by a GP? Is he receiving medication? Apparently high doses of thiamin can help.

I have no experience with alcoholism but you need to get in touch with Social Services and ask them for help. As well as maybe organising a programme for him where he can try to get dry, they can give your mother a carer's assessment and ought to put together a care packet for your father. They can explore options like sitting service or Day Care for your father (though I think the alcoholism might need to be tackled first) and respite for your mother.
You could also ask your local Age UK, Alzheimer's Society and Carers Centre for help.

Good luck.