My mum is 75yrs old, she was diagnosed with vascular dementia about 8yrs ago and is now in the later

CharlieMax

Jan 12, 2019
My mum is in late stage Vascular Dementia and my brother who is partially sighted and myself have been caring for her since she was diagnosed. Lately she has been getting a lot worse and my brother isn't coping (he lives with her) we have asked her Dr for help 2wks ago and still nothing has been done. My brother phones me all the time needing me to go down to help. Sometimes I've had to go looking for her. She thinks things such as my brother is breaking her cigarettes ( he doesn't) and not allowing her to do go out and also makes up lies about him. A few yrs back Social Services came out n they believed everything she told them...they did nothing to help us and wouldn't even acknowledge that she had Vascular dementia even though I was with my mum after she had a brain scan and the consultant diagnosed her. My brother is exhausted as my mum doesn't sleep much at night and is up switching the cooker on n turning the fridge off n also has bouts of diahorrea...she is now only 41 kilos in weight. Where can we get help and what do we do?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Time to get in contact with Social Services again
The person who came out last time believed everything that your mum said, but from what you said about your mum it doesnt sound like they would be taken in this time. Make sure that you are with her when SS come and try and take them to one side and explain what it is really like.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yes I agree with canary.

The time has come when you need help in meeting your mothers needs. From what you say it sounds as if she is at risk and perhaps you can advise social services this is now the case.

Mr Silly

Jul 15, 2019
My mom was getting very agitated and has just been given quetiapine 25mg by her consultant to calm the agitation. It’s early days but it makes her sleep through the night, so you get a good sleep. Tablet to be given once in bed as it makes them drowsy. Not too sure how affective the tablet is yet as it can take up to 6 weeks for it to work

Sarahjane1967

Dec 17, 2015
My mom was getting very agitated and has just been given quetiapine 25mg by her consultant to calm the agitation. It’s early days but it makes her sleep through the night, so you get a good sleep. Tablet to be given once in bed as it makes them drowsy. Not too sure how affective the tablet is yet as it can take up to 6 weeks for it to work

Sarahjane1967

Dec 17, 2015
Mum was prescribed memantine, now she has been having this for a while she does seem more settled and sleeps for longer. Mum was not really sleeping for more than a couple of hours and was wandering in the night.