My mum hates flies

Johnsy1

Feb 12, 2015
My mum has an obsession with flies at the minute. If one comes into the house, goes on the window, or crawls on the floor..........she is on a mission they have to go! She gets aggressive and agitated, it`s as though she thinks they are after her!! It`s quite funny to watch, but sad to realise what is happening. I am finding that the way I cope at the minute is to write poems and verse. Some sad, some humorous so I thought I`d share this one with you. It`s called the fly...........................

The fly

“Just leave the room and count to ten”
I say to myself again and again
Mums angry tantrums are getting worse
Which leads me now to write this verse

Where has she gone my mum of old
Her eyes look sad and oh so cold
Her voice is raised she shouts some more
Oh my god, my ears are sore

No fly is safe when mums around
There’s one on the window and one on the ground
she hates them all they`ll have to go
what have they done...I don`t know

I begin to laugh or else I`ll cry
Might even end up like the fly
But even through her eyes of hate
My mum still calls the fly..... her best mate

xxx

Last edited:

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
My mum has an obsession with flies at the minute. If one comes into the house, goes on the window, or crawls on the floor..........she is on a mission they have to go! She gets aggressive and agitated, it`s as though she thinks they are after her!! It`s quite funny to watch, but sad to realise what is happening. I am finding that the way I cope at the minute is to write poems and verse. Some sad, some humorous so I thought I`d share this one with you. It`s called the fly...........................

The fly

“Just leave the room and count to ten”
I say to myself again and again
Mums angry tantrums are getting worse
Which leads me now to write this verse

Where has she gone my mum of old
Her eyes look sad and oh so cold
Her voice is raised she shouts some more
Oh my god, my ears are sore

No fly is safe when mums around
There’s one on the window and one on the ground
she hates them all they`ll have to go
what have they done...I don`t know

I begin to laugh or else I`ll cry
Might even end up like the fly
But even through her eyes of hate
My mum still calls me her best mate

xxx

Brill poem !!!

Have you considered a visit to her GP, they shouldbe able to help either to refer you to community psychiatric nurse to provide suggestions on how to avoid . Or depending on the situation they may prescribe meds.

Maybe introduce more activities and exercise, it might be she needs more of these to stop her getting agitated, anxious and aggressive.

I have read that these are usually a phase....but this does not mean you have to endure it without any help or advice for a professional.

Just a thought.

Johnsy1

Feb 12, 2015
Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your response. Just started mum on a low dose of medication in the last couple of days to try and reduce the agitation and anxiety. Bit of trial and error at the minute but hopefully it will help her.

x

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Love your poetry, great way of dealing with things.

I have to say I don't have Dementia but I share your Mum's obsession with the removal of flies :)

I hope your Mum feels less anxious and agitated and the medication she is receiving is helping her.

Still...I defy anyone to ignore a big, fat bluebottle in the house! :)

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum seems to be aware of any fly that gets in the house and she hates them, not to fond myself, I bought a couple of fly swots [?spelling], so happy when she gets one. Only problem is when they land on tv, her back hand would give McEnroe a run for his money.