My mum has dementia

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Hi Im yorkylover,not because I love the chocolate bars but because I adore yorkshire terriers.

My mum has been suffering from memory loss since having a heart problem that only came to light when she had a siezure and was rushed into hospital where she was fitted with a pacemaker.The brain was starved of oxygen for some time and they think this was the cause of the memory problem.This happened in 2011.

Since this mum has got worse with her memory,her conversations,moods are very up and down.The doctor treated her for anxiety and depression.

Now she is under the older peoples mental health and recently had some tests done by a psychotherapist and we are now waiting for reports to come back and have an appointment on the 6th March.But we have been told it does look like dementia.

Frome reading this website she has all the classic signs,but not sure how advanced she is.

As a family we are still coming to terms with it all,and I myself cannot take it all in.

I felt I needed to join here as I know in the future I shall be needing some support and guidance for my family.

I suffer from anxiety and in the past panic attacks,mum was always there for me and now Im there for her.My husband at 49 had a stroke last May but Im pleased to say made a full recovery so finding things a bit difficult at times.

I live in the Fareham area of Hampshire.

Yorkylover.xxxxxxxx

bangor1

Feb 21, 2013
Hi there

You are not alone! I have just joined the forum too and doctor has told me verbally he thinks this is Mum's:) issue and just awaiting test results. I think she has had this for at least three years but got worse after a fall outside when she broke her shoulder and spent three months in respite. The social worker told me then that her symptons were "classic" They did tests in the home and "lost" them then they sent her appointment at home for pschiatrist (also is bipolar) to do test but she lost letter and got date wrong so only had appointment late Jan.

Hang on in here. This is some of the best suppport I've had yet and only recently got involved via the amazing helpline!

Bangor1 x

dognecks

Feb 11, 2013
bridport
Hi Im yorkylover,not because I love the chocolate bars but because I adore yorkshire terriers.

My mum has been suffering from memory loss since having a heart problem that only came to light when she had a siezure and was rushed into hospital where she was fitted with a pacemaker.The brain was starved of oxygen for some time and they think this was the cause of the memory problem.This happened in 2011.

Since this mum has got worse with her memory,her conversations,moods are very up and down.The doctor treated her for anxiety and depression.

Now she is under the older peoples mental health and recently had some tests done by a psychotherapist and we are now waiting for reports to come back and have an appointment on the 6th March.But we have been told it does look like dementia.

Frome reading this website she has all the classic signs,but not sure how advanced she is.

As a family we are still coming to terms with it all,and I myself cannot take it all in.

I felt I needed to join here as I know in the future I shall be needing some support and guidance for my family.

I suffer from anxiety and in the past panic attacks,mum was always there for me and now Im there for her.My husband at 49 had a stroke last May but Im pleased to say made a full recovery so finding things a bit difficult at times.

I live in the Fareham area of Hampshire.

Yorkylover.xxxxxxxx

glad your husband recovered from stroke , but will still need to avoid stress if he can, sorry to hear about ur anxiety and now having to be dealing with dementia ,you should get all the advice u need on here ,lots of people on here with experience from paul carer

PaddyJim

Jan 19, 2013
North Yorkshire
Welcome yorkielover. You will find lots of support on here. My mum was recently diagnosed and whilst it wasn't a complete shock it takes time to come to terms with the reality of the situation. The best advice I have been given is to take one day at a time. :)

horserider100

Jan 30, 2013
manchester
hi yorky

hello if you need any support at anytime i think you will find it here. my own mum has advanced ah for over 5 years now. sometimes i find it so hard to go on, but then i come
here, welcome and i hope it helps you, yours always john.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Yorkylover, a warm welcome to Talking Point, glad you have posted, support and understanding is here whenever you want or need us:) sorry you are playing the waiting game with mums results so I hope they will be able to help her once they have established what's going on. Look forward to your next post and again welcome:)
Take care
Chris x

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Finding things hard

Mum had the results of her tests carried out by a psychotherapist,it was inconclusive.My mum is Italian and although speaks english her writing etc has always been in Italian.The test were difficult for her and very long.They did say she has vascular dementia which was caused by the heart problem over a year ago,but they are now talking about doing a spect scan.This will take up to 3 months to organise!!!!!!

Today I found very difficult as she is aware she is forgetting things,and that her words dont come out right.She is suffering from depression and anxiety and the more anxious she gets the more confused she gets.

I have explained its an age things and not to worry,and that we will be here for her always,she will never be alone.She had a friend who had dementia and she cared for her and always said she would hate to get that way,but now its happening and I think she realise it as she mentioned it to me today and she in so many words said she wants to leave go back to her home in Italy so we dont have to care for her which hurts me.She hasnt been to Italy for many years and has no relatives there anymore.

I know whats happening and try to take each day as it comes,but I also think Im pushing it to the back of my mind and then some days it suddenly hits me,usually when Im in bed or have time to think.

Mum is 78 but a young 78,still takes care of her hair and make up clothes ect,but she is slowing down quickly,I do forget she is 78 at times.

She has had two falls recently and broke a foot and an arm.

At the moment she is on venlafaxine for depression and just been put on mirtazapine as well.Some times I think they make things worse.

Im sorry just felt the need to write things down and clear my head before bed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy Mayor