my mum has been on end of life for 13 weeks

dools

Dec 2, 2015
Hi
can any one help me get my head round how some one can be put on end of life for 13 weeks .she is only eating a few mouthful of food and sips of water,
i have been to see my mum today and her face and ears looked yellowy.
i am finding it very hard to watch my mum go through this her waist is only 21 she has bed sores and she is like a skeleton .how long can some one last last this long.
thanks dools

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Oh dools my heart goes out to you and your poor mum

So sad you had to find TP under these circumstances - but I'm glad you have, there's lots of good folk on here to share your concerns with

personally, I have no experience of end of life care - from others' posts it would seem that some folks have a strong grip on life, I guess one is your mum

I wish you strength to see you through; and I wish peace for you both

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hi
can any one help me get my head round how some one can be put on end of life for 13 weeks .she is only eating a few mouthful of food and sips of water,
i am finding it very hard to watch my mum go through this her waist is only 21 she has bed sores and she is like a skeleton .how long can some one last last this long.
thanks dools

I can't answer this my Mum was only on end of life for 24 hours but with no food or water - the longest 24 hours of my life and so I can only say that I really feel for you. Have the hospice been involved or palliative care nurses? I will be thinking of you. Welcome to TP there will be others along soon with different experiences xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
This is horrible. Is she truly on palliative care? Is it appropriate for her to be fed at this stage? Can she speak? Is she getting proper pain control?

Jacqui Ann

Dec 3, 2015
Hello Dools

Hi
thanks dools

I think End of Life care can be for hours, days, weeks or months - it really depends on the individual. My Dad has been on End of Life Care for months now and the situation sounds very similar to yours - truly awful but all we can do is work with the care team to ensure that our parents are pain free and looked after with dignity and respect. My Dad hasn't eaten properly for months and is so frail and weak - heartbreaking to see. I ask the 'how long can this go on' question every day at the moment but sometimes, in good moments, can accept that this is how it is and just to take one day at a time. Hope and pray for peace of mind for everyone in this situation.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I think End of Life care can be for hours, days, weeks or months - it really depends on the individual. My Dad has been on End of Life Care for months now and the situation sounds very similar to yours - truly awful but all we can do is work with the care team to ensure that our parents are pain free and looked after with dignity and respect. My Dad hasn't eaten properly for months and is so frail and weak - heartbreaking to see. I ask the 'how long can this go on' question every day at the moment but sometimes, in good moments, can accept that this is how it is and just to take one day at a time. Hope and pray for peace of mind for everyone in this situation.

Welcome to TP :)

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
How awful for you, and for your poor mum. Is she still willing to eat and drink, or are they having to coax her?

dools

Dec 2, 2015
This is horrible. Is she truly on palliative care? Is it appropriate for her to be fed at this stage? Can she speak? Is she getting proper pain control?

thankyou for replying some times she can speak but not for long she does not now who i am .they have to offer her food they say its there job she is only having teaspoons of food . they gave her 4 - 5 days but like i said 13 weeks later she is still here i have been to visit her today and she is in and out of sleep and she looks jeundis it is very sad to see your mum go this way you would not put any animal through it.

dools

Dec 2, 2015

Thankyou for replying i agree with everything you say the carers are doing a fanastic job it is just very p setting to see your parent to go through that you wouldnt let your animal go through it.i have been today and she is in and out of sleep and she looks yellow ,i would like her to go in her sleep so she is at piece but like you say you have to day by day but it is so hard for the family.

dools

Dec 2, 2015
How awful for you, and for your poor mum. Is she still willing to eat and drink, or are they having to coax her?

Thanks for your reply she will eat a little one day then nothing the next and just having sips of fluids ,

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
Hi dools your mum sounds very similar to mine. She has been totally bedridden since Oct 2014 then fast fracked in May but was taken off in September. As you say, skeletal, barely eating or drinking, little communication, drowsy etc. Today I noticed yellow tinge too, is it jaundice? But apparently no end in sight. Absolutely hate to see her in such a pitiful state, wish it was over for her but dreading losing my lovely mum. Tough times, I wish you strength for the days ahead. X

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kitten71

Jul 22, 2013
East Yorkshire
Hi dools your mum sounds very similar to mine. She has been totally bedridden since Oct 2014 then fast fracked in May but was taken off in September. As you say, skeletal, barely eating or drinking, little communication, drowsy etc. Today I noticed yellow tinge too, is it jaundice? But apparently no end in sight. Absolutely hate to see her in such a pitiful state, wish it was over for her but dreading losing my lovely mum. Tough times, I wish you strength for the days ahead. X

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Hello there, this may sound stupid, but how do they know when to start end of life care? My dad eats pitifully small amounts, sleeps practically all day, has lost so much weight and sometimes looks a yellowish colour. No one has mentioned end of life and to be honest, this is the first time I've visited this particular topic on here as I'm concerned that's where we may be at and no one has told me :(