My Mum and advancing Alzheimer's

doro

Feb 13, 2016
I have just been sitting all evening with my mum, and she seems now to be delirious or hallucinating. This seems to be a new development, I find it quite disturbing. She was stroking a cat that wasn't there. Then she was holding an imaginary bible and reading what seemed like prayers ( with a bit o gibberish) and a lot of Amens... feeling quite upset. I only recently got the doctor out and he said there was nothing more to be done. So unsure if I should have called doctor again? She isn't in pain or distressed really.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
I have just been sitting all evening with my mum, and she seems now to be delirious or hallucinating. This seems to be a new development, I find it quite disturbing. She was stroking a cat that wasn't there. Then she was holding an imaginary bible and reading what seemed like prayers ( with a bit o gibberish) and a lot of Amens... feeling quite upset. I only recently got the doctor out and he said there was nothing more to be done. So unsure if I should have called doctor again? She isn't in pain or distressed really.

Hello. I'm sorry. Did the agitation seem to increase as evening set into night? If it did, this could be sundowning. My mother was agitated this evening, doing the "I want to go home" thing that some do, so I pulled out my laptop and put on a video from a group called zenchantment at zenchantment dot com. There was a lovely video with changing views of the ocean and some ocean sounds. She became mesmerized by the images, and I could talk with her about the different rocks and waves coming in. It worked.

If your mother can still be made to focus on things at times, try this.

I also suggest you might try acetaminophen / paracetamol if the doctor thinks this might calm her.

The agitation can be very hard to deal with. I try changing the subject or playing along til I can bring it back to the world we live in rather than my mother's world.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Doro

What a disturbing thing to witness. My late Husband also had very vivid hallucinations. Sometimes they were bought on by a infection such as a UTI, constipation or a chest infection. Perhaps you could contact her GP's surgery to get an appointment. Try to get a urine sample if possible. Put an old container into the toilet bowl and see if you can get a sample that way.

Take care

Lyn T XX

doro

Feb 13, 2016
My Mum and advancing Alzheimer's ... reply

Thanks to all those who replied to me. I did get the doctor out today. They checked her out and came to the conclusion to give her antibiotics if she can respond. She now seems semi-conscious, so not sure if I can get her to take the medicine- but all agreed there wasn't anything else anyone could do really apart from keeping her comfortable and not distressed. But thanks, sometimes its so difficult to know when to call the doctor. When I told the paramedics and they called the doctor, both told me that if I was concerned I should always call the doctor. Its such a horrible illness, and I think we as carers need counselling at the start to know what to expect and what to do. There doesn't seem to be a clear course of action by the professionals on this illness and that's what adds to the carers distress. But thanks for your replies, its really appreciated.