My Mu is getting worse and I can't cope with her toileting problems.... :(

lasse

Jul 2, 2017
Hi, My Mum lives with me and my husband and she gets on by herself fairly well, but she's taken to leaving her urine-soaked pads on her bed and next to her bed instead of putting them in the bags I gave her. Then she lets the dog in who takes them around the house and tears them apart. The smell is horrendous and I don't know what to do. She can't remember to use the bags, and she has accidents all the time. I can't supervise her constantly. Can you give me any advice or tips?

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
Sorry I can't offer an advise or tips, only empathy - my mum won't wear them unless I put them on for her and will happily keep them on until they are dripping due to saturation. She says she doesn't need them but yet I've twice had to clear puddles up and had to strip her bed and that's just today. Luckily I foresaw it and had already invested in a decent waterproof mattress protector and put it on without her knowledge.

Hope you work something out soon.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Your Mum can't learn how to deal with the urine-soaked pads so realistically the only thing you can do to stop the accidents is to get her into the habit of going into the loo every 4 hours or so and trying to relieve herself then. That means:-

- actually taking her to the loo (possibly going into the loo with her, depending on the stage she's reached);
- hanging round while she goes (or doesn't)
- making sure another clean pad is put on and removing the used one from the house (otherwise it may get recycled).

Your mum will resent such behaviour intensely if she's anything like my Mum was. I just had to distract, explain as best as I could ... and eventually it became the norm. I hated doing what I did but there wasn't any other option for us if Mum and the house weren't to become totally insanitary and disgusting.

lasse

Jul 2, 2017
Toileting habits

That is actually a pretty clever idea... It will take some organisation but it is doable... thanks for your advice :)

lasse

Jul 2, 2017
Mum's habits

Thanks for your empathy. I think it does help to know you're not the only one going through these things. I think I will be looking at a waterproof mattress now too x

lasse

Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for the empathy, and don't be sorry - it helps to know you're not the only person going through these things. Also I will have to consider getting a waterproof mattress myself now too x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You could also look at getting washable bed pads, like these: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/...pads/quick-dry-washable-bed-pad-70cms-x-85cms and maybe some chair protectors, like these: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/continence-care/seat-pads/. They make life so much easier! I used the chair protectors in the car too. Last thing you want is a car seat smelling of wee! The bed pads I used the single size for my husband, but I found they worked much better turned lengthwise under him, with the "flaps" put one under his pillow and the other under his feet. The other thing to remember when using these is to make sure you are not using any fabric conditioner when washing them! It stops them being absorbant, and liquid will just run off them, on to the bed or chair!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet