My mother

Bevpet

Sep 14, 2013
Perth Western Australia
Hi my name is Beverley or I use Bevpet. My 88 year old mother is currently in the hospital. She gets dehydrated at home, goes into hospital displayine symptoms of dementia. They rehydrate her and give brain scans, and then look at me as if I need to be in the looney bin.

Last week when they were going to discharge her, I knew what she was going home to and I panicked and told the Doctors I would have to walk away to protect my sanity.
So I went searching online for help and came across this web site. And saw some sharings on dementia symptoms due to dehydration.

I could write a lot more. But I find reading other's experiences more strengthening. I am taking my mother back to her unit, tomorrow. I told the Ocupational therapist that she would be back soon. But this time I am going to be armed with all of the info I can get. thank you for listening to me. I am 63 and I live in Perth Western Australia.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello Bevpet and welcome to TP. W have quite a few members who live in Australia so you'll be in good company! i'm sorry to hear about your mother but I'm glad you're already finding the forum useful. I hope you are able to get some proper help sorted out for your mum.

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
Hello Bevpet, welcome to TP and hopefully you'll find it helpful as I have.
Dehydration is hard and harder still to make an elderly person to drink, if they don't want to. I try all sorts of different little tricks.
AD is a cruel illness and it robs from us beautiful lives. I hope you'll find the strength
and courage to accept it (sadly we can not change it).
Come back again once the dr has been to see your Mom and share your thoughts.
Be brave and Courage.