My mother needs some activity in her care home - any ideas please?

stonegreen

Jul 10, 2013
Mum has recently gone into an EMI unit for emergency respite but we can't manage at home so hopefully she will stay. The care home is lovely - clean, friendly & attentive staff, good food - everything you could hope for really. However, she seems to be the only one who is awake especially in the afternoons. She is only 73, has Lewy Bodies Dementia and finds it hard to sit still. She needs some entertainment but it is hard to know what to do and what she would be able to do. She was a teacher and loved to read but sadly can't do that any more. She is getting resentful towards us (pleasant to the staff) that we have "condemned her to this life". Any ideas for a way to make this lovely safe environment, more bearable for her?
Thanks in anticipation :)

alwaysfretting

Jan 1, 2015
Mum has recently gone into an EMI unit for emergency respite but we can't manage at home so hopefully she will stay. The care home is lovely - clean, friendly & attentive staff, good food - everything you could hope for really. However, she seems to be the only one who is awake especially in the afternoons. She is only 73, has Lewy Bodies Dementia and finds it hard to sit still. She needs some entertainment but it is hard to know what to do and what she would be able to do. She was a teacher and loved to read but sadly can't do that any more. She is getting resentful towards us (pleasant to the staff) that we have "condemned her to this life". Any ideas for a way to make this lovely safe environment, more bearable for her?
Thanks in anticipation :)

Just come back from my weekend looking after mum and she enjoys colouring in. I hope this helps th out but if not it might help someone else on here. She finds it very soothing.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Would she be able to manage a talking book? Lots of the classic books can be downloaded for free (legally) as well as old radio comedy programmes. I put then on my ipod and play them through speakers rather than headphones. It does rely on the ability to work an ipod or mp3 player although you could put them on CD and use a Walkman CD player.
K

jules60

Feb 28, 2015
tyne and wear
Does the home have an activities co-ordinator? If so, talking to them about involving your Mum in activities would help. Failing that, carers will sometimes include those more able residents in day to day tasks such as folding laundry, setting tables for meals, helping with bringing bedding from store cupboards etc. All of these activities encourage movement and conversation. Perhaps you could ask for a singer to come in to entertain residents, or have an afternoon tea dance. It all depends on the willingness of staff (who are already stretched to their limits in some homes) and families to work together. Maybe someone could set up a voluntary group to organise events which would appeal to all residents.
Hope this helps

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
This was the first question I raised on Talking Point and below is the link to the thread. You may find some of the ideas useful.
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?2477-Any-ideas-for-hobbies-and-interests

There is also the Daily Sparkle which has good recommendations. However it costs around £59 per month for the daily version or £49 per month for the weekly one. Maybe you could ask the Care Home manager whether there is some way of sharing the cost as other residents could benefit too.

http://www.dailysparkle.co.uk/about...s1JBRDY83o5yKU0tv7-2vfshUS3ov7IV7oaAo7p8P8HAQ

I remember one of the more active ladies in my husband's NH was very happy indeed when she was given a duster and allowed to dust the lounge and hallway (only when a carer was present though). She seemed less interested in the group activities. She also loved dressing and undressing a doll we had given her one with a full wardrobe.

I am sure you will get loads of ideas and hope some of them work.
Best wishes

stonegreen

Jul 10, 2013
Thanks so much everyone - I will ask the home about Daily Sparkle tomorrow as it looks interesting. Mum was an English teacher and read avidly - I find it heartbreaking that she can no longer read easily - she still has a daily paper but not sure how much is being read or how much is because it helps her to feel "normal". I'll try a talking book on her CD player, thank you. I'm hoping she is able to get out to the garden once the weather is better as she will love pottering round there. It's all adjustments!

Blueheather

Feb 18, 2013
Scotland
What about word search? My Husband has quite advanced Alzheimer's but can still manage to do a word search most times as long as it's quite clear & not too small.

Amazing really as sometimes he doesn't know what to do with a biscuit! :confused:

He also does a bit of colouring now & again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti