My mother lives alone and smells

raymond1066

Oct 18, 2015
My 82y Mother lives independently but her personal hygiene is starting to slip. can anyone advise how to broach the subject with her ?
Thanks. Ray.

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
My mum has not had a bath since August and that was when she was in Hospital. We have had a new rise and lower bath seat fitted but she will still not bathe. Arranged for a carer to come in and help, the bath was filled and my mum refused. She was adamant and said her husband would help her when he got in (he died 15 years ago). The bath was emptied. When I asked her the next day if she enjoyed her bath, she said no one turned up to help her! So...... arranged for a home hairdresser to wash her hair. This has not been done for 4 weeks. We actually managed that with me 'being in charge bad guy' and the hairdresser being the 'good guy'. Anyway Mum had a good trim and now looks much less dishevelled, although I noticed she did smell when she moved out of her chair. Im not sure what the answer is but I just wanted you to know you are not alone :( x

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
When we noticed that my Mum was smelling we realised that it was incontinence - stale urine smells! If that is the case an appointment with the GP (with your Mum?) or a call to the surgery to ask to speak to the continence nurse and they will help you get free pads which make ALL the difference. That is if it is urinary incontinence and it does sound as though it may be but she will need some help adjusting to using the pads and reminders etc, Good luck

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Hi. When my husband started to smell, it was only when I watched that I realised he had lost the ability to understand where to put his deodrant (he was putting it on his lower arm Instead). Shower times then needed supervision. I also started buying the more expensive deodrant that lasts for 48 hours so supervision wasn't needed all the time.