My Mother is ready now to go into a care home

nigel

Oct 29, 2005
Hello Everyone,

My Mother was diagnosed with A.D. 2 years ago. She is 75 and has a number of other severe disabilities. I am now finding it difficult to cope, and have spoke to Mum and the social worker, and have all agreed that residential care will be the best option for Mum.

As Mum owns her own house I understand that we will have to rent or sell it to finance the care. Her income is made up from a couple of small private pensions,
state pension, attendance allowance and pension credits.

I am so confused with the rules, Does anyone know if we can keep the attendance allowance, pension credits and state pension to help pay for the cost of care?

Regards
Nigel

p.s. I don't live with Mum and am registered as e.p.a

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Hi Nigel

Aunt still gets her state and private pension and when she moved into care qualified for the higher rate of Attendance Allowance.

Sorry, can't help with the pension credits.

Kriss

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Nigel

Mum didn't get Pension Credit so I can't help you on that one, but maybe one of the factsheets will have an answer for you.

Mum still has her state and small private pension and Attendance Allowance. She also owns her own home which we will have to sell to make up the shortfall when her hard-earned savings run out in a few months time.

Unfortunately this is where the state "punishes" those who have worked very hard and contributed all their lives to provide a better future for their families.

I get really angry when people who have drug, alcohol or smoking related illnesses or addictions, which are for the most part avoidable, get free treatment over and over again, yet being a victim of AD and other illnesses which happen through no fault on the sufferers part are not seen as worthy of any state funding at all unless you have very little in the way of assets. Even then it can be a lottery as to how well you are looked after and a constant search for every little bit of information you need to help make life a little easier.

Well that is more than enough moaning from me for one day!

I hope you find a really good care home for your mother and she settles well, good luck.

Kathleen
xx

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27