My mother is hiding things

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I used to ask for a copy of my mother's medical appointments to be sent to me. I assume she had to give permission for this to the GP, and it was then on record for all other hospital appointments too - anyway they all seemed happy to do it.

If anyone has LPA for your relative, they can get all the post redirected to their own home - I wish I'd done that earlier for my mother.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
How did you manage to get around the post issue? Trying to help my Nan make sure she gets to her doctors appointments but she never seems to have any letters so we can’t see when they are! Did you get them delivered to you or something else?

Does your nan’s Doctors operate a reminder service by text? You could give them your mobile no. as her contact details. So at least you would know when the appointments are.

My dad hated the Dr’s so any letters from them went straight in the bin or hidden. Getting a text reminder helped me a lot. He once got a letter from them, so he went in with the intention of telling them he didn’t need the appointment, it was for the flu jab. However as he couldn’t make himself understood he came out with two further appointments, one for a blood test and another to see the Dr. I only found out about this as I got the texts.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
However as he couldn’t make himself understood he came out with two further appointments, one for a blood test and another to see the Dr.
Im sorry, but this made me laugh. I had so much trouble getting mum to make appointments.

Whynot71

Jun 10, 2019
My MIL hides things often wrapped in tissue. She has taken to hiding tights and underwear in the toilet brush holder in her bathroom. I believe this is a normal behaviour of dementia. I make sure anything of danger, value or daily use is out of sight. I once found a lighter, a pair of scissors, 2 curtain rings and a cornetto wrapoer shaped into a tiny sharp triangle hidden in her tissue box.

Champers

Jan 3, 2019
My mother has a real mania about ‘tidying things away’ Even to the extent that when I’m visiting, I’ve wondered if I’m losing the plot too. I’ve put my own stuff down, paperwork, keys, phone...and it’s gone! I don’t even see her do it most of the time and when I’m at her house trying to sort admin out, it’s very frustrating. The items are usually squirrelled into a cupboard and when I find them, she tells me I must have put them there.

We also have ‘a man’ that comes in during the night to put food in the fridge. He also hides her medication and letters under her bed apparently.

She gets very upset about me trying to dispose of packing boxes, particularly the type that cosmetics and perfume come in. She’s insistent that she needs them.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
How did you manage to get around the post issue? Trying to help my Nan make sure she gets to her doctors appointments but she never seems to have any letters so we can’t see when they are! Did you get them delivered to you or something else?
Someone's with my dad 99% of time now so most of the time we get to the post before he does. Plus the GP tends to send appointment details to myself or one of my siblings by text as they have our numbers down as next of kin.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I had similar problems with mum hiding appointment letters, she would tell me she had one but couldnt remember when so I was always ringing up the hospital. In the end I changed her address to mine as they couldn't cope with 2 on the system. That then caused problems when she was discharged from hospital because they would only book transport to my house 20 miles from where she lived.