My mother is 100 years old

Monnox

Nov 30, 2014
Leicester
My mother is a 100 years old and has just gone into a nursing home. She has dementia which has got worse this week. She is frightened, confused, lonely, bored and anxious, repeating God please help me to die and over again also asking me to help her die. I can't sleep, lay in bed til 3.30am this morning as the last two nights 4am & 5am. I'm really tired but as soon as my head hits the pillow all the thoughts and situation won't go away. It upsets me so much that she is in such fear. She is so little and frail and today refused help food or drink from the nurses/carers. She wants to slip away in her sleep and I have to say that's what I want for her now because there's no quality of life.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello Monnex and welcome to Talking Point. I am sorry to hear about your mum being so ill and unhappy,

I hope you manage to get some sleep, It must be so hard for you to see her this way, I wish her peace,

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello Monnex...sorry your worries are keeping you awake. It's such a sad situation you're coping with, and it does always seem worse in the wee small hours. I hope you get to sleep, and daylight will help a bit. Here's a hug from a stranger, but you'll find you're never alone when you've got This Forum of friends who understand completely.

Monnox

Nov 30, 2014
Leicester
Hello Monnex and welcome to Talking Point. I am sorry to hear about your mum being so ill and unhappy,

I hope you manage to get some sleep, It must be so hard for you to see her this way, I wish her peace,

Thank you very much for your reply, peace would be good. Just trying a warm milk drink but I'm too hyped up so I'll be sleeping in the day again and I so wanted to break the cycle. Just read on Mind's website to try staying awake rather than "trying to sleep" apparently it can work, sort of lateral thought I suppose. I'm assuming you are also experiencing dementia in some way?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Thank you very much for your reply, peace would be good. Just trying a warm milk drink but I'm too hyped up so I'll be sleeping in the day again and I so wanted to break the cycle. Just read on Mind's website to try staying awake rather than "trying to sleep" apparently it can work, sort of lateral thought I suppose. I'm assuming you are also experiencing dementia in some way?

My husband has vascular dementia he is a poor sleeper and moves around a lot even when he is asleep, once I am awake I can't get back. he is snoring again now so I might have another go, I hope you manage a bit more sleep,

Best Wishes, Jeany x

Monnox

Nov 30, 2014
Leicester
Hello Monnex...sorry your worries are keeping you awake. It's such a sad situation you're coping with, and it does always seem worse in the wee small hours. I hope you get to sleep, and daylight will help a bit. Here's a hug from a stranger, but you'll find you're never alone when you've got This Forum of friends who understand completely.

Thank you, that's so nice, I send a hug back. Went on Mind's website, it says to try to stay awake rather than try to sleep if often does the trick, will try that tomorrow night.
So comforting being a part of this, feeling calmer

Monnox

Nov 30, 2014
Leicester
My husband has vascular dementia he is a poor sleeper and moves around a lot even when he is asleep, once I am awake I can't get back. he is snoring again now so I might have another go, I hope you manage a bit more sleep,

Best Wishes, Jeany x

You are literally living with dementia, feel for you. Good luck with sleep, Monnox x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lesley&john