My mother in law and me

Anmen

Dec 9, 2015
My mother in law is 77 and she is an alzheimers patient. Recently she has started putting clothes in toilet bowl, eating toothpaste, tearing the clothes she is wearing etc. I cannot move away from her even for a few minutes. She stays awake the entire night on many days. I m not sure she is in which stage of alzheimers. What can I do to improve the quality of her life? Is there anything worse that I should be prepared for?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
She is obviously very disturbed. I think you need another visit to the consultant psychiatrist who diagnosed her as they can prescribe medication which the ordinary GP cannot. You might also ask for a care assessment to get some help in looking after her.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Anmen, Welcome to TP, sorry you've had to join us. I think I'd try to get a urine sample off the the GP in case a UTI is lurking and causing chaos. My other thought is, have you had a carer's assessment ( or come to that has MIL had a needs assessment) from the Social Services? I think I would be shouting for help from every source. One more thought....Attendance Allowance? It could help to pay for outside help to give you a little time off.
Good Luck, Maureen.x