My Mother has vascular dementia

GBBath

Jan 24, 2016
Hi , my mum has vascular dementia and is now in a home. I'm not sure what stage she is at, middle to late I would think. I feel helpless in dealing with the complexities of the disease and I also do not live close by. My Dad who sees her everyday has said she has taken a turn for the worse and just sits staring into space with her head down and hardly speaking. I know depression and anxiety is common with Vascular Dementia and feel she might be in a bout of depression, or is it the next STEP down further in to the disease? She already has issues with her sight and walking so doesn't have the stimulus of TV, creative activities or much exercise although all these things are on offer. Does anyone have a similar frustrating situation. She was responding well to music and singing but now sings in a whisper when my dad encourages her.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi , my mum has vascular dementia and is now in a home. I'm not sure what stage she is at, middle to late I would think. I feel helpless in dealing with the complexities of the disease and I also do not live close by. My Dad who sees her everyday has said she has taken a turn for the worse and just sits staring into space with her head down and hardly speaking. I know depression and anxiety is common with Vascular Dementia and feel she might be in a bout of depression, or is it the next STEP down further in to the disease? She already has issues with her sight and walking so doesn't have the stimulus of TV, creative activities or much exercise although all these things are on offer. Does anyone have a similar frustrating situation. She was responding well to music and singing but now sings in a whisper when my dad encourages her.

Morning Georgina.

Your mum may be further along than my OH, so my advice may not be helpful.
However, OH does have her problems with focusing on TV and with walking on top of her Vascular Dementia. She does enjoy some music, though what she likes one day she may not like the next, depending on whether she can follow it. Anyway I usually find it is worth trying a bit of variety of music and replaying the ones she really likes once every couple of weeks just to keep her going. Likewise with mobility, even if we only drive out into the country for a cuppa and a teacake so she moves off the chair for an hour so that keeps her going.
Enough rambling, best wishes to you and your parents in a difficult time. Rob

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
When her sight or hearing has been affected I found with my mum they become even more isolated from others around them and the world. I also remember an old lady I knew who was fine in mind saying that once she lost her sight her appetite went as she didn't know what she was eating off the plate etc. makes sense when you think about it.

Staring into space lost in thought is very common with this disease. Conversation is hard going as my mum loses her words halfway through and becomes frustrated and as they are nigh on house bound they have no visitors apart from me, they have little to say, except about their cat. So upsetting.

I have read that some people like a cuddly toy with them, so if you sent her one in via your dad or by post she may like that as it was from you.