My mother has Alzheimers and Im a young carer

Pinkpanther1484

Mar 8, 2015
Folkestone
My mum has recently been diagnosed with early on set Alzheimers and shes only 52. As her only daughter Im her carer too, as well as holding down a full time job. I have seen such a drastic change in her memory , attitude and behaviour.

I have received so many leaflets that give you snip bit of information, bUT I didn't expect the emotional rollercoaster that Im currently on. Im only 29 and sometimes I find my mums behaviour skin crawling and embarrassing. Then I feel guilty for feeling those way as she my mum .

I wondered if anyone has felt the same way and could give me and tips and advice,

I also wondered if there are any local evening or weekend carer support groups sound the Folkestone area.

I would be grateful for any advice you could give me

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Hi Pinkpanther,
I am so sorry to read your post.
I found this on the Internet;

Rethink Carers Support Group ( Folkestone )
A friendly group of carers offering mutual support to anyone caring for a relative or friend with mental illness. The group meets monthly at the Resource Centre (Mill Bay entrance) on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 7 � 9.00 p.m. (with the exception of January and July). The group has a comprehensive resource facility with up-to-date information. Speakers occasionally attend the group meetings to give talks on subjects relating to mental health issues.

07941 495532

I am sure they will be able to both offer you support and point you in the right direction of any other support mechanisms in your area. Please get as much support as you can.

Take care

Pinkpanther1484

Mar 8, 2015
Folkestone
Hi Pinkpanther,
I am so sorry to read your post.
I found this on the Internet;

Rethink Carers Support Group ( Folkestone )
A friendly group of carers offering mutual support to anyone caring for a relative or friend with mental illness. The group meets monthly at the Resource Centre (Mill Bay entrance) on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 7 � 9.00 p.m. (with the exception of January and July). The group has a comprehensive resource facility with up-to-date information. Speakers occasionally attend the group meetings to give talks on subjects relating to mental health issues.

07941 495532

I am sure they will be able to both offer you support and point you in the right direction of any other support mechanisms in your area. Please get as much support as you can.

Take care

Hi Adcat

Thank you for your reply , unfortunately I have tried rethink in Folkestone and they only cater to people with server mental illness I.e schizophrenia not Alzheimers.

when I speak to admiral nurse she tells me its normal for my emotions to be running high, I suppose I didn't expect it to effect me as much as it has. Im normally quite a strong person and this has knocked me side ways.

It has been such a battle to get the right diagnoses for my mother and the right medication. For years we were brushed off with epilepsy and doctor told me " to suck it up and be grateful that my mum alive" then to have NHS brush my complaint under the carpet and the doctor gets a promotion to a new hospital.

Everything with my mum has been such a battle, my mum ans I used to be so close but thats become so fractured. Especially as we argue so much because of her mood swings horrible to say but she can be like the devil reincarnated.

The problem is I dont know how to resolve the issue i understand she has her down days everyone does. But sometimes I get so frustrated in the way she behaves I find it embarrassing. I know she cant help but I cant help how I feel and I have been struggling with that

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Go and see your GP and inform them of the impact this is having on you.
I don't know much about Admiral nurses but I would have thought they should be providing you with support and advice.
I am reading a book by Professor June Andrews - dementia one stop guide that I find really helpful.
From my own experience with my Dad, it's frustrating, exhausting and bewildering.
Fundamentally the behaviours displayed are down to the illness. As you know, your mum can't help it. What you need are coping strategies and most probably a break.
Take care and keep posting

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi Adcat

Thank you for your reply , unfortunately I have tried rethink in Folkestone and they only cater to people with server mental illness I.e schizophrenia not Alzheimers.

when I speak to admiral nurse she tells me its normal for my emotions to be running high, I suppose I didn't expect it to effect me as much as it has. Im normally quite a strong person and this has knocked me side ways.

It has been such a battle to get the right diagnoses for my mother and the right medication. For years we were brushed off with epilepsy and doctor told me " to suck it up and be grateful that my mum alive" then to have NHS brush my complaint under the carpet and the doctor gets a promotion to a new hospital.

Everything with my mum has been such a battle, my mum ans I used to be so close but thats become so fractured. Especially as we argue so much because of her mood swings horrible to say but she can be like the devil reincarnated.

The problem is I dont know how to resolve the issue i understand she has her down days everyone does. But sometimes I get so frustrated in the way she behaves I find it embarrassing. I know she cant help but I cant help how I feel and I have been struggling with that

Hiya Pinkpanther. We live near Folkestone and have a brilliant admiral nurse who will support you and point you in the right direction. There is also an AD nurse who will support your mum and her concerns! There are carers support meetings and also cafes for you or your mum to join. My husband got diagnosed at 60 and I am 52 ! Feel free to PM me and I will forward the names and numbers for admiral and ad nurses xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Pinkpanther1484

Mar 8, 2015
Folkestone
Hiya Pinkpanther. We live near Folkestone and have a brilliant admiral nurse who will support you and point you in the right direction. There is also an AD nurse who will support your mum and her concerns! There are carers support meetings and also cafes for you or your mum to join. My husband got diagnosed at 60 and I am 52 ! Feel free to PM me and I will forward the names and numbers for admiral and ad nurses xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hi Chick1962

Thanks for your reply I have sent you a PM

X

Kilgara

Sep 15, 2013
Hi, I am 22 and my mum has vascular dementia and I understand that it can be confusing and lonely. If you want to talk ever PM me and I will be happy to chat :)