My mother has Alzheimers and Im a young carer

Pinkpanther1484

Mar 8, 2015
Folkestone
My mother has recently been diagnosed with early on set Alzheimers and shes only 52. I have seen such a drastic change in her memory, her attitudes and behaviour. As being he only daughter and carer I have found this to be extremely distressing at times. I have received so many leaflets that tell you snip bits of how I would be feeling , but I didn't expect the emotional rollercoaster that im currently on.

Im only 29 and wondered if any one had any tips or advice of what I can expect, im also trying to find a local carer support group , preferably in the evenings ad I work full time is well .

I would be grateful for any information you can give me

jellymac

Nov 29, 2014
West Midlands
hi pinkpanther1484

Sorry i havent really got any advice that will help, i know someone else will be along. I just wanted to say sorry for your moms diagnosis, such a young age for her and yourself. I was 30 when my mom was diagnosed 4 years ago (although my mom is a lot older than yours), i know how hard and frightening it can be. Thoughts and hugs are with you x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...im also trying to find a local carer support group , preferably in the evenings..."

Enter your postcode on these two sites and see what you can find, you should at least get details of an advisor who you could contact

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200121

http://www.carers.org/carers-services/find-your-local-service

Also ring the LA social services and ask for any suitable services.

The LA run day centre that my wife attended had a monthly evening carers' support event which anybody could attend.

Last edited:

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My mother has recently been diagnosed with early on set Alzheimers and shes only 52. I have seen such a drastic change in her memory, her attitudes and behaviour. As being he only daughter and carer I have found this to be extremely distressing at times. I have received so many leaflets that tell you snip bits of how I would be feeling , but I didn't expect the emotional rollercoaster that im currently on.

Im only 29 and wondered if any one had any tips or advice of what I can expect, im also trying to find a local carer support group , preferably in the evenings ad I work full time is well .

I would be grateful for any information you can give me

Hi pinkpanther and welcome but equally sorry you had to find us ! I too live near Folkestone and there is help available . We got an excellent admiral nurse who can come and visit you and will lend support to you and your mum. There are also cafes for dementia and I have got our local AD nurses number she will be there to support your mum! If you would like all the numbers and contacts please feel free to PM me and I will send them to you. Please don't be too disheartened as my husband was young when diagnosed too and is holding up quite well . Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Pinkpanther1484

Mar 8, 2015
Folkestone
Hi pinkpanther and welcome but equally sorry you had to find us ! I too live near Folkestone and there is help available . We got an excellent admiral nurse who can come and visit you and will lend support to you and your mum. There are also cafes for dementia and I have got our local AD nurses number she will be there to support your mum! If you would like all the numbers and contacts please feel free to PM me and I will send them to you. Please don't be too disheartened as my husband was young when diagnosed too and is holding up quite well . Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hi all ,

Thank you all for your help and information

X

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet