My mom has mixed Dementia

Anton36

May 18, 2017
Hello everyone.

My mom was diagnosed with mixed Dementia including FTD January of this year. (2017 ) she is 67 years old.

Since my mom retired December 2015, I noticed she wasn't herself, I thought at first she was just depressed and had a little bit of anxiety.

Unknown to me, she was suffering with Dementia.

March/April 2016 she was forgetting how to drive her car.

June/July 2016 she forgot how to use the washing machine and to her normal daily tasks i.e financial and banking duties.

September 2016 Age UK were coming in 6 days a week to cook her meals etc.

October 2016 couldn't remember what her address was, loss of speech.

November/December 2016 rapid decline in writing, reading and speech. Paranoid things were braking etc.

January 2017 had to make the hard choice of putting her into a care home.

Now at May 2017 she is incontinent, aggressive sometimes, cant remember what she had for dinner that same day. Ability to speak declined. Can't remember how to use a knife and fork, can just start undressing herself in front of me, and uses the bin as a toilet. Needs help dressing, bathing etc.

As you can see, this is a rapid decline with no plato.

I think my mom is in Stage 6 at the moment? I hope someone can help here, as to what stage she could be in?

She can still walk.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

Maggiemol

Feb 28, 2017
Devon
It certainly sounds like stage 6. As Cat27 says I have found my OH seems to be somewhere between two stages, in his case 5 and 6

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi Anton, and welcome :)

The stages are really just a general guidance and not set in stone so nobody can really give you a completely accurate picture as to which stage your mother falls into.

My husband has been diagnosed for 5 years now and I found that even when in the earlier stages he displayed several behaviours noted under the higher stages. Likewise, now he is in the more advanced stages he still has some abilities from the lower stages. It is a question of stepping back to try to see the wider picture in order to see what is happening.

Please keep posting about your concerns and anything you wish to know. There are many people here who have been through what you are experiencing and happy to share what they know :)

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan