My lovely Mum in hospital again!

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat
Mum has had stomache & back pain on & off since last December (maybe before) & has been in & out of hospital, had lots of tests but they can't find anything wrong with her.
Last Friday Mums neighbour Louise called to say Mum was not at all well & her Dr was called. A nurse went, called me from Mums & said the would be going soon as she thought Mum might have to go to hospital. Dr went & spoke to me, said Mum shouldn't be left alone & was trying to get her into the elderly care ward at the hospital. Dr called me back, no beds available so she was sending her to A&E. I spoke to A&E, they said Mum was in pain, said only bed available was in the Acute Surgery ward. Called the ward & Mum was comfortable & had a good night but they were going to send her home :confused: Advised that there was no one to stay with her when she got home & had carers going 3 times a day but they couldn't stay with her. It was decided to keep Mum in another night.
Called next day, Mum was being sent home, advised they needed to call the carers as she had no food in & Louise (who is 70) couldn't get out that day to do the shopping. They asked who did Mums shopping, I said Mum does but doesn't get the rights things & food gets thrown away & now Louise has started to do the shopping as Mum won't let the carers do it. If Mum went home she would go out herself & I didn't think it would be a good idea if she went out after coming home from hospital. The Staff Nurse said, "it's not an ideal situation (meaning Mum can go shopping herself) but Mum wants to go home. :mad:
Eventually Mum arrived home about 6:30 7:00pm last night. Louise went into Mums when they brought her back, within 5 mins Mum was saying her back & stomach was hurting again. Spoke to Mum, she was very confused & when I asked her why she hadn't told the hospital staff she was in pain, she said, she haven't been in hospital but had been in someone's home! Louise said no medication for pain was missing from the dossette box,msg was going to give her some. I said maybe the hospital had given her the painkillers so I'd call to ask them. Carer then came & I said I was calling the hospital. Called them & they'd given her some paracetamol around 5:30 so could give her anymore. Called carer back & she said she would give Mum some codeine instead.
Louise called me this morning, Mum still in a lot of pain, carer then came & I said I'd call her Dr when they opened. Carer called back 5 mins later & said she wasn't happy to wait for the Dr as Mum was in a lot of pain & asked me if that was ok, of course I said yes.
1st responder came within 10 mins, carer called me & said they wanted a word with me. They advised Mum needed to go to hospital & an ambulance was on its way, Mum was given antibiotics last Thursday for a possible UTI but looks like the hospital never gave her any while she was there :mad: :mad: & thinks the infection could have gone to her kidneys :(
Not sure if the staff on the Acute Surgery ward understood about Mums dementia/Alzheimer's & as think Mum wanting to go home was the fact she thought she was in someone's house & not an hospital, if they'd have talked to her they may have found this out but not sure.
Mum on her way now to hospital & I'm so frightened for her as I don't think she really knows what's going on :( :(

Lima

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Oh Lima you must be a bundle of worry and frustration right now. And your poor Mum!

Is it possible she's under reporting her discomfort? When my stepfather was asked if he had pain, on all but two occasions he answered no. Clearly he was, and couldn't communicate it to someone who (it felt to him) suddenly appeared in his room demanding answers.

A stark example of this was when, after asking targeted questions and not pressuring him to answer he told me the tumour in his throat wasn't giving him pain, but yes it did feel like he was being hit with a hammer in his lower jaw!!! It was simply beyond him to grasp the notion of referred pain, and as his jaw didn't have the tumour thought it wasn't what they were asking him about.

Don't know if it might be worth pointing out to hospital staff this time round that dementia can impact a person's ability to assess and describe physical sensations.

Good luck Lima, I'll be watching for updates,
Toni x

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat
Oh Lima you must be a bundle of worry and frustration right now. And your poor Mum!

Is it possible she's under reporting her discomfort? When my stepfather was asked if he had pain, on all but two occasions he answered no. Clearly he was, and couldn't communicate it to someone who (it felt to him) suddenly appeared in his room demanding answers.

Yes I think your correct. Mum does have difficulty explaining her pain :( when I spoke to the ambulance crew this morning, that was also something they found.

Don't know if it might be worth pointing out to hospital staff this time round that dementia can impact a person's ability to assess and describe physical sensations.
Toni x

I spoke to the ward sister this morning about what had happened yesterday & mentioned, if someone had actually spoken to her & asked where she thought she was, they would have realised, that thinking she was in someone's house, something wasn't right. Having said that, I'm not sure that as Mum was on the Acute Surgery ward, there was anyone there who had dealings with people with memory problems. She did say they were looking onto why Mum was sent home & why she was back in under 24 hrs.

I called her SW who is attached to the CMHT, she wasn't happy Mum was sent home & was going to see her & to tell the staff, Mum haven't to be discharged with calling her first.

Just called the hospital again, Mum is still been assessed, told me Mums SW had been & assured me Mum would not be discharged just yet.

Thank you for caring.

Lima

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How awful. Your poor mum. I hope she is getting the help she needs now. You must be so worried. x

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat
Any news Lima? Hope you got some rest last night, Toni x

Thank you Toni, Mum is having more tests today, unfortunately she was put in the same ward as she was discharged from, although they now seem full of concern, which is good.
Mums SW said they should give at least given us 24/48 hrs (forget which) before she was actually sent home, to give the care people time to arrange proper care & the SW is now putting in a complaint.
I didn't know until later yesterday, when the carer was there the previous night after Mum was discharged, she asked if she would stay with her all night, I now can't get the image out of my head that poor Mum was alone & frightened that night. :( I am so upset & angry they put Mum through this. The SW was with Mum around 3 hours yesterday, Mum was wanting her to hold her hand & asked her not to leave :) SW said she was going to see her again today.
Last week I already booked a flight to go back on the 20th of this month for 2 weeks so I could go to a best interests meeting, will see how Mum is today & I'm looking at changing my flight to go back maybe tomorrow or the day after.
I've not had much sleep & are besides myself with worry but that's nothing compared to how Mum must be feeling :(

Thanks again

Lima x

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello limafoxtrot, It's so hard being a long distance carer.
It sounds as if your mum has a good social worker. I hope you have some more news about your mum very soon.

turbo

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Lima,

Thank goodness the SW's on the ball now, but what an agony for you to be unable to hold your poor Mum's hand. A brutal situation for you both. It must be so hard to balance the impulse to hop on a plane with the knowledge you can't do this every time. Impossibly hard.

Does the SW know about the fear of being left alone? If SW is working on the assumption your Mum is happy to be discharged with carer visits, then SW doesn't have the full picture of your Mum's current needs. Perhaps there are other options SW can be looking into.

Hope the tests show up something easily treatable, and your Mum bounces back quickly.
Take care, will be thinking of you,
Toni x

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat
After an ultrasound scan we've been told Mum has gallbladder inflammation & they have started her on antibiotics. Hopefully Mum will now start to feel more comfortable.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Lima x