My journey

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Dear Jeanette

Even though you know the prognosis, can well imagine you must be very shaken at getting Gordon’s blood results back. Wish there was something I could say to help, your emotions must be all over the place and am sure part of you feels as though you’re living through a dream. You’re nursing him wonderfully through this heart-breaking time and know you’ll steer him safely to ensure any pain is well controlled. Treasure every moment with him now and even though the future has become the present, try and stay in the present for as long as you can – that’s all we ever really have....

Love Px

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Dear Jeannette

I have tried to be clever with words, but have failed miserably! I just want to let you know that I'm thinking of both you and Gordon.

with love Jan x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thinking of you. I do hope you are getting all the support you need for you.

My stepfather died of secondaries to prostrate cancer and he had a pain free. peaceful death. Good to hear you are in contact with the Macmillan nurses.

Yes it is such a shock when later becomes very soon isn't it. The emotions that whirl round are almost unbearable, but you will have some peace during this difficult time occasionally. Peace within yourself knowing that you have done and are doing all you can for him.

xx

Pross

Mar 2, 2013
South east
Just a TP newcomer offering support and wishing you continued strength and courage. I do so hope you have physical friends to support you as we'll as all us virtual ones.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Jeannette,

Just another one here to add to your list of virtual supporters as you travel Gordon's journey - what a wonderful job you are doing to keep him so very well cared for, and so difficult for you.

Just take each day as it comes, don't look too far forward into that unknown future. Deal with what you can as it arises and you will be ok.

But take all help offered because there's only so much of you to cope with everything, and you need to keep your strength up too.

Thinking of you both xxx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Jeannette,

I have always been ok about talking about it in " the future" but now the future is becoming the present!!!!

This really spoke out to me Jeannette and I will be wishing you continued strength and courage as you face this huge change.

Gordon couldn't be in better hands and I hope that you, too, feel upheld through this next part of the journey by competent hands.

Love and a (HUG)

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Dear, dear Jeanette,

Gordon and you are such examples to all of us. You are going into this with eyes wide open because it seems the best course of action for you and he to take. As the stakes get higher and the cancer spreads, it is wonderful to sense his and your combined courage holding strong. You can't turn back the clock, I know just what you mean when you say you have entered the 'future'.

It is wise to get the McMillian nurses in to support and assist. We had them for Dad, and they took the headache and concern out of everything, so we could focus on Dad and not on decisions and procedures. I think you will soon find the 'future' is less frightening, and they will be guiding lights so you can continue to accompany your gentle, loving husband through thick and thin. I remember a wonderful doctor telling my father not to worry, "we are going to make you very very comfortable, and look after you beautifully". That was over 20 years ago and I remember how those words reassured me, a novice to end of life care.

Well done, Jeanette, you are coping magnificently, and you are a leading light, one I hope to emulate when the time comes with Mum. Two gentle giants, both of you! I embrace you from afar, love BE

dognecks

Feb 11, 2013
bridport
looked after my fatherinlaw with this, as his sons didnt want to be a carers to him, went through to the end , am thinking of you , my heart is there with you . lots of hugs , from paul , carer for the elderly , disabled adults

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I can imagine the shock of realisation that the future has become the present.
We build ourselves up to expect things but when they actually happen, we are still taken unawares and it seems unreal. I am so very sorry that this reality has hit both you and Gordon and things are moving so rapidly. I know you have strength and courage and I hope that both will stand you in good stead in the days and weeks to come. XXX

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Dear Jeanette,
I've just been complaining to my husband about how difficult it is to look after Mum, and then I read your wonderful post and felt very ashamed of myself. Your strength and compassion are an inspiration. Thinking of you both