My husband's dementia

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Talking Point' started by spo1, Aug 12, 2018.

1. spo1

spo1 New member

Aug 12, 2018
    Hi I have been caring for my husband for 4 yrs now. At the moment he is constantly repeating the same questions. I am struggling to cope with this.

2. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Hullo and welcome to Talking Point, spo1. I'm sorry to read you are struggling with your husband's condition, but you will get plenty f support and advice here.
    There is a thread on compassionate communication which is easier said than done, but I'll pass it on and hope some of it helps.
    https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/
    Do you get any kind of respite like a day centre ? My OH has been going there and has a befriending scheme one day a week which allows me some time to myself and that reduces stress very well.

3. Thethirdmrsc

Thethirdmrsc Registered User

Apr 4, 2018
    Hi, and welcome! This is a difficult one, my daughter gets married this week, and the questions from my OH are relentless, where , when, how many people etc etc, hour after hour. When first diagnosed, I used to get really uptight, but now, I almost answer automatically. I would say it gets easier, but it is what it is.

4. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Volunteer Host

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    Hello, welcome from me too! I did try writing answers to repeated questions, which worked for a short while, but it really depends at what stage the dementia is. It seems like the questions are a form of anxiety, a way of controlling a world that is constantly confusing. I found it much easier to deal with this behaviour once I had seen ascan of my husband’s brain. I could see the damage, and it helped me to be more patient. I’m not saying for a moment that I am always patient ... I get it right some of the time, and feel guilty when I don’t. But the good thing about the members on Talking Point is that they understand and don’t judge.