my husband

shirl

Jul 16, 2007
My Husband Was Diagnosed With Alzheimers Abot 3 Years Ago . In June This Year He Semed To Get Worse More Quickly. He Would Not Eat His Meals That I Cooked He Said I Wanted To Poison Him. I Had Problems Getting Him To Take His Medication . He Would Not Go To Bed When I Did . Most Nights He Would End Up Either On The Hall Floor Or On The Landing Floor And Even On The Bedroom Floor . He Would Not Let Me Touch Him. I Could Not Lift Him My Self . He Had A Carer In A Morning But She Was Not Allowed To Lift Him. I Either Had To Get My Daughter To Get Him Up Or Ring For A Ambulance. We Had To Put Him Into Permanent Care. This Upsat Me And My Family Very Much But I Could Not Look After Him Properly At Home. Fortnuately We Found A Good Home In The End. We Have Not Seen Him As Happy Were He Is For A Long Time. My Daughter Kirsten As Been A Member Of The Alzheimers Talking Point For A While Now And Said It Has Helped A Lot So I Am Hoping I Get The Same Out Of It.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Shirl.

It`s good to hear your daughter has found TP helpful and I`m really pleased you`ve now registered for yourself. I`d like to welcome you and hope you get the support and friendship you need.

It`s good to hear your husband has settled so well in his Home. it will have made it so much easier for you.

Take care and keep posting.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Shirl, welcome to TP

My situation is very similar to yours. My husband has recently gone into a care home, for the same reasons. There was no way I could manage him when he fell, or was unco-operative.

He too is quite happy in his new home, and enjoys all the attention. He's usually very pleased to see me when I go in, although he is sleeping a lot. I miss having him at home, but I just couldn't manage. I'm just very grateful that he is in such a good place, and is happy.

Post whenever you like, there's always someone to talk to.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Shirl and welcome to TP.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you have had with your husband and am glad that he is now happy in the home. We are at the stage where we are going to start looking at homes for my Dad for when the time inevitably comes. I know it will be upsetting for us as it has been for you and your family, but it helps to hear there are good homes out there.

Your story sounds similar to my Dad who has dementia and lives with my Mum. Much of the time he is very angry with her, accusing her of all sorts of things, but is usually much more cooperative with me and my sisters. I am hoping that this phase will pass.

Can I ask if your husband's attitude to you has changed now that he is settled in the home?

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hello Shirl and welcome to TP,

I am sure that you will get plenty of support here. Sorry to hear that you had to place your husband into care and I can relate to the sadness this causes.

It is good that you were able to find a place that you are happy with and great news that your husband is happy and settled. I hope that everything continues to go well. Take Care Taffy.