My husband recently went into a Care Home

Sarah127127

Oct 16, 2020
Hello, I am 63. My husband is 68. About 8 weeks ago I came home from work & my husband, who is disabled & was housebound, was so confused it frightened me. I called 111 & he was taken to hospital. It was found he had pneumonia. HIs physical illnesses were treated, but his mind didn't come back properly. He has Alcoholic Dementia & brain damage caused by alcohol. He never came back from hospital. He has been my best friend for nearly 40 years & we have been married for 25. I feel a bit lost without him. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with this very sudden change.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Sarah127127 . Welcome to Deementia Talking Point.

Adjusting to having a partner in residential care is a very big ask , especially now, during this pandemic, when you may be unable to visit.

The pneumonia will have had a big effect on your husband`s dementia and the confusion is so great it is really out of our ability to manage it.

I`m sure you do feel lost without having him at home with you. When my husband went into residential care at least I could occupy myself with visits.

I hope you have family support and perhaps somewhere where you can go for walks to fill the time. If you had any hobbies you had to forfeit while you were caring for your husband at home . perhaps you could return to them. This might be difficult if your mind is occupied with worrying about your husband.

Stay with the forum please. Someone here may have better suggestions for you.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Sarah127127 and welcome from me too.

What a shock for you and especially difficult in times like this. Please keep posting on the forum. Someone will always be around to support you emotionally even though we can’t provide any practical help.