My husband is waiting for a memory assessment

Geraldine Jane

Jun 9, 2021
My husband is waiting for a memory assessment having been referred by the GP after seeing him in surgery and doing one of the mini tests. But having looked after my mum I am pretty sure signs of dementia. He has had carers to help with personal care twice a day since Christmas to take some of the burden off me. The carers are fine he generally seems the same two over the week. But the time can be inconsistent and this is causing problems. He himself can be up anywhere from 5am - 10am. LA organize the contract and there are staff shortages in the area and growing demand. If the care is safe, good quality , good carers I am unwilling to change and move to another company, if there was one to take us on, as I imagine we would hit the same problem. I care on my own , no close family, not getting any younger and I am overwhelmed with problems - the least if which is if a carer comes at 9 or 9.30. Am I being selfish?

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
As with most things it is supply and demand!
We had one firm that was flexible in changing visit times to work around medical appointments but that also meant carer visiting times to The Banjoman could be irregular/ changeable to accommodate their other clients. With the last firm the carers turned up on the dot most times but tough luck if he needed to be ready to go to hospital early there was no way they would come early to make sure he’d had breakfast and was washed and dressed. As he lived alone this was a major problem.
When the LA arranged a new contract the latest client’s needs had to fit in around the standing clients, consequently one time the breakfast/morning carer was booked to come in around 10.00 - 10.30.a.m. and then came back around 12.30. to give him lunch! Unsurprisingly he wasn’t hungry. The same thing happened with a friend’s Mum.