My Husband has Dementia

Nanny k

Mar 31, 2020
Hello everyone,My husband of 62 years old has Vascular Dementia and another brain condition called Neurosarcodosis. He’s been unwell for 6 years. It’s really difficult seeing your loved one change . Over the last few weeks his mobility hasn’t been great .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the Forum Sandy.

It makes life even more difficult once the mobility starts to go. My husband used to forget his mobility was bad and this led to falls. I hope your husband isn`t at that stage yet.

Take care of yourself too. It`s tough being a carer for so long. I hope you are getting some help.

Keep posting here. There will be a lot of support and understanding for you. I hope it will help.

Nanny k

Mar 31, 2020
Thank you so much ,I don’t think that i have cried so much as I have lately. It just breaks my heart. He’s still such a kind calm man . It’s nice to be part of a forum where at least you can talk to others in the same situation as yourself

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There are so many tears shed while watching our dear ones struggle with dementia. We would be robots if we didn`t allow the tears to flow.

There`s nothing to make it easier but I hope the support from the forum will help you.

Nanny k

Mar 31, 2020
One thing I wanted to ask is .. Is it a normal part of Dementia process for them to start having panick attacks. My husband seems to be having quite a few of these also not trusting me to be able to make him feel safe

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Sandy Rockett and welcome from me too.

Both depression and anxiety are common bedfellows of dementia so I would talk to the GP about the panic attacks.

My wife is treated for both depression and anxiety as well as her dementia. The medication takes the edge off things but constant reassurance is also required.

There is a Factsheet in the Society Publication list about this issue and you can click the following link to take you to the list, which includes many useful Factsheets etc
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list