My husband has become violent

Quarry77

Oct 31, 2014
My husband, with advanced vascular dementia, is becoming increasingly physically violent. He hits out when frustrated or waves his stick aggressively. Does anyone have any advice on how to manage this?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You need to get your GP involved ASAP as it may be necessary to give him anti psychotic medication to reduce this aggression. Make sure you can get out of the room and get to safety if he is active. A room with a lock on it is a good idea and also keep your mobile phone on you to call for help.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Very good advice from marionq. May I also add that if you need to lock yourself into a room call the Police. They are experienced in dealing with this sort of situation. They will not harm your Husband but they will certainly start the ball rolling as far as informing his GP and Social Services.

I wish you all the best

Love

Lyn T XX

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
This happened to me for the first time last week, although there had been threats before. My gp said to phone the consultants secretary, explain to them, hopefully getting an appt soon. This is the same consultant that, at OHs last assessment a month ago, told me he would phone me so I could talk over my concerns at that time, but never did......

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
My husband has vascular dementia which is bringing more and more problems and one of those is that he gets very aggressive at times, sometimes hits out and also shouts a lot. He is not very mobile due to a number of physical ailments so I usually manage to dodge out of range, although I have sometimes been within kicking range when attaching or removing catheter night bag.

Sorry I am not making helpful suggestions but more likely benefiting from the advice you have been given.

Don't you really hate the way dementia changes our loved ones.

xx

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Always try and position yourself so you are closest to the door. Be aware that you may get hit and prepare to try and defend yourself by blocking him. I agree totally with the get out and go behind a locked door and phone the police. Also agree with get the GP involved and see if anti psychotics help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti