My husband can't sit still !

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
My husband was diagnosed 2yrs ago with mixed dementia. He went through a patch of being very sleepy all the time but that's passed now to be replaced with the equivalent of ADHD!

He doesn't seem to be able to sit still for very long during the day. I'm finding it completely exhausting just being with him.

I wondered if anyone else had experienced this and if there's any medication for it? He's not on any meds as they wont give him anything due to him having a bowel op and him having a heart murmur.

Any suggestions?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's pretty normal actually, my OH walks around a lot as well. I send him to day centre plus he has a sitter who takes him for walks. He's also very fidgety when he sits down and constantly touches everything and moves it slightly. I have found that he loves sorting playing cards and he can sit for hours concentrating on that. The trick is giving him something to do and keeping him busy. I wouldn't even think about medication for that, but if you can't cope on your own, get support through social services or befriending services.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Tiller girl my hubby will not sit down for very long 5mins max!!! He doesn't watch TV! Or read, his brain will not absorb anything, he walks about all the time, all he does is looking in his wardrobe checking his suits and shirts, as he thinks someone is stealing them. I spend a lot of time in my garden, he never does anything in the garden, it is a nightmare, l know what you are going through, there is very little we can do about, only to keep taking them out away from the home, which can be very tiring

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
My hubby was exactly the same here at home when he was awake and in the living room. It's only since he's being cared for that things have changed, although I still don't know what he's like when I'm not at the home with him.

Does your hubby read? Mine likes having newspapers. You could try something similar. That might stimulate his interest enough to sit still for a while. Much love and good luck with this. I know how hard it is.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband too has lost the art of reading anything taxing. He enjoys looking at / reading football magazines though of his favourite team and his sister brings one every week. Of course he goes over the same ones again and again.

Today I gave him the garden path to sweep and he did a better job than I would have done because he went over and over it.

Hanging up washing or drying dishes are still possibilities. Try to think up little jobs which keep him busy and out of mischief!