My hubby & soulmate has Alzheimers : - (

Belizzie

Jan 29, 2016
Norfolk
Hi everyone
My 'young at heart' hubby and soulmate was diagnosed about 3 years ago with Alzheimers. Fortunately I recognised the symptoms which meant he was able to start medication during the early stage which I believed has helped slow down the progress of the disease. He can still function quite well although, obviously, his memory is gradually deteriorating and he cannot go on out his own as he would get lost! I just find it very sad as I feel I'm already grieving for the man I'm slowly losing. I also get very frustrated and then feel guilty about it. Just feel the need to share my thoughts !!
Belizzie x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hi everyone
My 'young at heart' hubby and soulmate was diagnosed about 3 years ago with Alzheimers. Fortunately I recognised the symptoms which meant he was able to start medication during the early stage which I believed has helped slow down the progress of the disease. He can still function quite well although, obviously, his memory is gradually deteriorating and he cannot go on out his own as he would get lost! I just find it very sad as I feel I'm already grieving for the man I'm slowly losing. I also get very frustrated and then feel guilty about it. Just feel the need to share my thoughts !!
Belizzie x

Much sympathy from me as that is my husband's problem too. He has a great desire to go to imaginary places with long dead people and we had some heartbreaking times last year when he kept getting lost. GPS trackers helped and also using his mobile phone to contact him but eventually he went beyond those aids. I cannot let him go anywhere on his own now so three days at day centres and improved medication have helped calm things down. I still have to keep him busy four days a week and that isn't always easy.

Look for help to gave you both a break from each other.

Belizzie

Jan 29, 2016
Norfolk
Thanks for your reply.

Much sympathy from me as that is my husband's problem too. He has a great desire to go to imaginary places with long dead people and we had some heartbreaking times last year when he kept getting lost. GPS trackers helped and also using his mobile phone to contact him but eventually he went beyond those aids. I cannot let him go anywhere on his own now so three days at day centres and improved medication have helped calm things down. I still have to keep him busy four days a week and that isn't always easy.

Look for help to gave you both a break from each other.

We're trying to make the most of this year while we can still go on holiday but I now have to arrange everything and have my wits about me all the time. Just taking each day as it comes but I do know what the future will bring. It must be hard for you. Do you have any family to support you? How long has your hubby been diagnosed? It's just supportive being able to talk to someone who understands. Thanks

Gwyneth

Nov 25, 2015
We're trying to make the most of this year while we can still go on holiday but I now have to arrange everything and have my wits about me all the time. Just taking each day as it comes but I do know what the future will bring. It must be hard for you. Do you have any family to support you? How long has your hubby been diagnosed? It's just supportive being able to talk to someone who understands. Thanks ��

We are all in a similar boat, it seems. We have just come to Oxford for a two night break in the Randolph hotel. My grandson is coming down with his choir tomorrow to sing in evensong in Pembroke College chapel. No matter how many times my husband has looked at the brief itinerary, he has asked and asked what is happening. I am at my wits' end with frustration!! Not his fault, blame it on Al! But oh, wouldn't it be nice to have stress free fun again!!! Moan over! Back here where I was an undergrad 50 years ago, no money, no worries, ha ha!!!

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Lots of sympathy from me too. My husband was diagnosed 15 years ago. We still live for the day. Things are very different to what we would have wanted but we're lucky to still be able to enjoy lots of activities together.

I'm glad you found this forum. You'll get lots of support here.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
We're trying to make the most of this year while we can still go on holiday but I now have to arrange everything and have my wits about me all the time. Just taking each day as it comes but I do know what the future will bring. It must be hard for you. Do you have any family to support you? How long has your hubby been diagnosed? It's just supportive being able to talk to someone who understands. Thanks

Yes, I think you are right to keep doing normal things as long as you can. There will be no doubt in your mind eventually when you have to make changes. John is into his fourth year since diagnosis and each year has been different with new challenges. I find the days at day centre allow me to recharge my batteries.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976