My grandma is slowing slipping away

Chelsealondon

Feb 23, 2015
My 95 year old grandma has been had an 8 year long decline with Alzheimer's, it's been heartbreaking for the whole family to watch her slow deterioration. Last week she took a sudden turn for the worse and has been in a semi conscious state for 9 days, she hasn't eaten and is unable to move unassisted. I guess I just want to know if anyone out there has had a similar end of life situation, it's a waiting game that is causing unbearable anxiety and overwhelming emotions for the whole family. She is comfortable and in a brilliant care home but I its hard to go about our daily routines not knowing if this will last days or weeks, has anyone had a similar experience?

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
Hi
I'm sorry you are in such a heartbreaking situation. I have no such experience myself, my mum started eating again after a few days of not, but there are lots of people on here with lots of experience, so hopefully some more helpful advice will come along soon. I just wanted to send some virtual support.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Hi Chelsealondon - so sorry to hear about your grandma, but it's good to read that the NH staff are keeping her comfortable and pain free. Perhaps you need to speak to the manager or nurse in charge of your grandma's care and ask for their honest opinion.

But if you read some of the other end of life threads on here you will see that sadly it can be a very uncertain and distressing time. Hope you and your family are able to give each other lots of loving hugs and support at this difficult time. Take care.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Unfortunately the last stages can be up and down for quite a while. Just when you think all is lost you may arrive for a visit and find your loved one drinking, eating and sitting up in a chair again. I certainly did for nearly three months before my husband finally succumbed to a final UTI over a period of ten days. Best thing is not to expect anything good or bad - just take each day and what it brings and enjoy the last period of time with your Grandma. Wishing you and your family peace WIFE

Jacquie1

Feb 27, 2015
Hi !

QUOTE=Chelsealondon;1063984]My 95 year old grandma has been had an 8 year long decline with Alzheimer's, it's been heartbreaking for the whole family to watch her slow deterioration. Last week she took a sudden turn for the worse and has been in a semi conscious state for 9 days, she hasn't eaten and is unable to move unassisted. I guess I just want to know if anyone out there has had a similar end of life situation, it's a waiting game that is causing unbearable anxiety and overwhelming emotions for the whole family. She is comfortable and in a brilliant care home but I its hard to go about our daily routines not knowing if this will last days or weeks, has anyone had a similar experience?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
My 95 year old grandma has been had an 8 year long decline with Alzheimer's, it's been heartbreaking for the whole family to watch her slow deterioration. Last week she took a sudden turn for the worse and has been in a semi conscious state for 9 days, she hasn't eaten and is unable to move unassisted. I guess I just want to know if anyone out there has had a similar end of life situation, it's a waiting game that is causing unbearable anxiety and overwhelming emotions for the whole family. She is comfortable and in a brilliant care home but I its hard to go about our daily routines not knowing if this will last days or weeks, has anyone had a similar experience?
I empathise with you completely. My Mum is in the same situation and we had the end of life care conversation with our Doctor 5 days ago. Mum takes a few sips of her drinks, and now and again wakes and chats, sometime incoherent, and sometimes makes sense. She is in a pleasant nursing home near my brother. We have the feeling this could go on for ages, but she is warm, clean and comfortable, what more could anyone ask? its very much a waiting game I think. Hard to think more than a day ahead.