My Grandad (new member, first post)

Rach01

Jun 20, 2015
Hi

My Grandad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's February of last year. He is 85. I am 27.

He is still living at home, alone, my Mum goes to see him every day and now that I am back in the area I am visiting him and helping out a lot more.

He eats chocolate or fruit pies every day (and all day if he could) - I offer to cook him something but he's rarely ever hungry (as he's filled up on chocolate) and he has no teeth so it's hard to make something that he can eat.

He gets confused about where he lives, although he's lived there for more than 30 years. He asks about my Grandma and his brother, who have both passed away – he's still quite early stages so I remind him of their passing, but it's hard to know what's the right thing to do/say.

He was also diagnosed with Lung Cancer around 2 weeks ago. He doesn't remember what all the hospital appointments are for, and is getting frustrated with the amount of appointments he's receiving and attending. I worry that he'll refuse to go to them.

My Mum seems a lot stronger than I am about the whole thing, so I joined Talking Point for support, and any advice would be received with many thanks.

To me, Dementia is one of the hardest things that life throws at us, and I am so sorry for all the pain and heartache you are all going through, whether you be a carer or a patient. I hope I can help some of you, as well as be helped in return.

I look forward to hearing from you, anyone.

Rachel

matchstick

Dec 22, 2010
glasgow
Hi Rach01,
Welcome to talking point,it sounds as if you are doing well by your Grandad it is good to just take it day at a time and enjoy visiting your Grandad you're doing well supporting your mum...don't be afraid to ask questions as somebody will have the experience and will answer best they can.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Welcome to TP.

It must be hard to see his memory loss, but please don't remind him of someone else's death. No matter how early stages you think he is, once he's forgotten something, it's unkind and cruel to make him go through the grieving process over and over again. Please read this article about compassionate communication: http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

There are also lots of helpful factsheets here for you to peruse: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200137

Otherwise, just ask or read our threads!

Rach01

Jun 20, 2015
Thank you

Thank you both for your kind words and suggestions.

I will certainly look at the links you've provided.