My grandad has dementia and I’m not sure what to do about coronavirus

Anon3786

Oct 26, 2019
My grandad got diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia in October, and when he got diagnosed he was no different, maybe slightly more forgetful but nothing major. So my nan tried him on CBD tablets because apparently they slow it down, but I’d say in maybe December, he started going downhill, his memory has been so bad. I am a student and I live in a student house so seeing them as much as I used to is harder now. But the past 4 visits in the past 2 weeks he doesn’t know who I am, and part of me thinks it’s because he doesn’t see me as often. I’m just unsure of what to do now this coronavirus is happening. I don’t want to never see him/them, but I also would hate to give it to either of them if I did have it. I popped in today for about 5 minutes on my way back home and when I left my grandad waved me off and said something like ‘see you tomorrow, I don’t get to speak to anyone else’ and it made me really sad. He obviously has my nan to speak to but he doesn’t think she’s his wife, he’s got it in his head she’s the cleaner? I don’t know what to do???

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
It is going to be hard for all grandchildren, especially those worrying about relatives with dementia, but I think you are right to consider staying away as you could unwittingly be a carrier. That is the advice that has been given. The only thing you can do is to phone often or, if your grandparents, can use technology, to Skype or whatever the new thing is. Maybe it won't be as bad as we're all fearing and we can start to come out of lockdown in a few weeks but so far it doesn't look very hopeful. The other thing is the development of medicines or vaccines to treat this virus which may come quicker than expected. I read that they are already trialling a drug on patients.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Anon3786, you have come to the right place for information and suppor.

There is a new sub-forum about Coronavirus issues and you can find that with the following link

Beyond that, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc. There is also a dementia guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I too am devastated at the thought of never seeing my older relatives again. I can't even see my mum because her partner is immuno compromised due to chemotherapy. However I stay away and will do until I think it is safe. You could write letters? Send photos? Call on the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart