My gran has alzeimers

♥Kayleigh♥

Apr 7, 2008
Newcastle
My gran has this awful mental disorder, and she is currently being cared for my a lovley residental home, however we had a phone call earlier today - she has hit an old woman, and black her eye and destroyed her zimmer frame! This has happened with various residents (my gran hitting them) They think she has a more serious rare kind of the disorder. Can anyone shed some light on it, it was called Lordes or something.

Thank you

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Kayleigh and welcome to Talking Point.

I'm coming up empty with regard to a possible dementia type. Could it have been Dementia with Lewy bodies? If so there's a fact sheet here http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/403

The problem of course is - no matter what type of dementia it is, there is little or no treatment for it. Managing symptoms (in your grandmother's case controlling her anger) is about all you can do. There is some evidence that while such rages may be unprovoked, sometimes they are indications of frustration. Inappropriately expressed for sure, but possibly a hint to look for what the problem might be.

The mother of friend of mine will take off her shoe and hit someone with it when she can't express her frustration any other way. When you track down what starts there always is something. The something maybe minor but it's there.

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
Hi Kayleigh

My Granny also has dementia and I understand it must be worrying for you. It can be quite shocking when your gran may shout or get angry. Dementia affects different people in different ways. Maybe you could ask the staff to give you more information to help you.

It is also important to check for other medical reasons for behaviour e.g. urine infections as this may also affect behaviour.

Take care,

EmJ :)

gordon rkent

hi

:)
My gran has this awful mental disorder, and she is currently being cared for my a lovley residental home, however we had a phone call earlier today - she has hit an old woman, and black her eye and destroyed her zimmer frame! This has happened with various residents (my gran hitting them) They think she has a more serious rare kind of the disorder. Can anyone shed some light on it, it was called Lordes or something.

Thank you
i understand my mams in care hone in newcastle gosforth ok if u wanna chat then send me a message ok i live in wallsend and im 50

gordon rkent

Last edited by a moderator:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Moderator note: just to say that we all appreciate benefits of the personal nature of the membership of Talking Point.

We do recommend that no personal details of any sort are given out - personal addresses, emails, phone numbers, etc - to anybody by any means - public posts, PMs, etc.

.... unless and until you feel you know the person well.

Even then, bear in mind that the only people on Talking Point who have been checked to assure their identity are the moderators.

We have had people register whose interests are not those of the other forum members. They appear genuine and attact the support of very caring members, but are not what they wish us all to believe.

The vast majority of members are genuine caring people, but the Internet is the Internet and care needs to be taken.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Gordon,

We appreciate your willingness to help another member so soon after joining the forum :)

I should perhaps add that the note above is a general message intended to help everyone and is not specifically addressed to this thread, or to your posts.

There have been bad experiences in the past, which is why I posted my message following Sylvia's reply.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Kayleigh

I just wanted to welcome you to TP, and to tell you not to be frightened off by the preceeding posts. They were not aimed at you, though I'm sure you'll heed the advice given by Bruce.

As one who has been taken in by a 'false friend', I can say that the warning is justified, although it is rare for that to happen on TP. Most of us are just wanting to help and be helped.

Anyway, to get back to your original post, I agree with Jennifer that it sounds like Lewy Body dementia.

Is your gran in a home licensed for dementia care (sometimes called EMI)? If so they should be able to manage her outbursts, and have staff to cope.

If she is in an ordinary nursing home, you may find that they say they cannot cope, and you will be asked to find a more suitable home.

In this case, your gran's social worker should help, and it would be a good idea to ring them to find out what they suggest.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Hello Kaleigh,

Good to meet you and really sorry about your gran. My Mum lashes out but I know she is not really violent, it is just that she is frustrated and can't express herself verbally.

As Skye said, it does depend what sort of home she is in. I put my Mum in a home last year that seemed perfect but it was not an EMI home and they simply weren't trained to cope with her and she ended up in the psychiatric unit of the local hospital. Next week she is going into a proper EMI home and they are aware of her outbursts, so hopefully they will be able to handle her.

Best of luck, it's very upsettting isn't it?