My Grampy

Perry13

Dec 7, 2018
My Grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 4 months ago, I'm his eldest granddaughter (26) and i try and do everything i can to help my grandparents (hospital, medication, routine, games, food). I also work full time and i'm starting to struggle watching the effect it has on my Nan, shes very very depressed and gets easily annoyed at my Grampy. I totally understand the heartbreak shes experiencing but im wondering if anyone has any advice on helping her specifically? Im very worried as she has a history of low moods.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Perry13, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in your grandparent's area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney, carers looking after themselves etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Perry13
a warm welcome from me too
your grandparents are fortunate to have such a thoughtful grandchild
I think your Nan will appreciate knowing you are there for her - though be aware that she may be shielding you from how it is for them 24 hours a day, it's hard for anyone who doesn't take on the main carer role to fully understand, so maybe just say to her that you'd like to try, and want to help in any way you can
might you do small tasks for her eg offer to do some shopping or help her do it online ... just happen to make a batch of stew (or any meal, or cakes, favourite puddings etc) and tell her it's too much and would she help you out by taking some ... spend time with your grandfather so she can have a few hours to see a friend or go for a walk ... do her ironing, say it's a secret santa thing or you need the practice (sometimes people find it hard to accept help, so try to turn anything round to say she's helping you) ... say you can't afford a Christmas present so could you come and do the vaccuming/any house work once a week/fortnight next year ... offer to take on admin tasks for her .... drive her/them to appointments and take them for coffee
whatever you offer, make sure you keep to it and on your Nan's terms ... it's so frustrating to be offered lots of help that doesn't materialise, but a few things that happen on time as agreed can make a very real difference

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
hello @Perry13
a warm welcome from me too
your grandparents are fortunate to have such a thoughtful grandchild
I think your Nan will appreciate knowing you are there for her - though be aware that she may be shielding you from how it is for them 24 hours a day, it's hard for anyone who doesn't take on the main carer role to fully understand, so maybe just say to her that you'd like to try, and want to help in any way you can
might you do small tasks for her eg offer to do some shopping or help her do it online ... just happen to make a batch of stew (or any meal, or cakes, favourite puddings etc) and tell her it's too much and would she help you out by taking some ... spend time with your grandfather so she can have a few hours to see a friend or go for a walk ... do her ironing, say it's a secret santa thing or you need the practice (sometimes people find it hard to accept help, so try to turn anything round to say she's helping you) ... say you can't afford a Christmas present so could you come and do the vaccuming/any house work once a week/fortnight next year ... offer to take on admin tasks for her .... drive her/them to appointments and take them for coffee
whatever you offer, make sure you keep to it and on your Nan's terms ... it's so frustrating to be offered lots of help that doesn't materialise, but a few things that happen on time as agreed can make a very real difference
This is such a good answer and full of excellent ideas .

Perry13

Dec 7, 2018
Thank you so much! We are going to winter wonderland at the weekend and shes so excited! so nice to see her smile again :)