My friend has dementia

Discussion in 'Younger people with dementia and their carers' started by Kazzag, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Kazzag

Kazzag New member

Nov 28, 2018
    Hi all

My best friend is 55 and has recently been diagnosed with dementia after I found her suffering from a psychotic episode. Too long a story to go into now.
    I attended a hospital appointment with her yesterday in neurology. Lots of tests carried out including the usual remember 3 things (she remembered nothing) the assessment was about an 1 1/2hrs this included me saying what I've experienced with her. They are so concerned about her rapid decline that she has an MRI and MRA scan booked for Friday and lumber puncture booked for Wednesday.

My concerns at the moment are where can I take her. Social services have allocated 21 hrs which includes the carers coming in twice a day to get her washed and dressed.

We can only find places for a generation older than her it's Heart breaking.

She lives in Newham London
    She also has a 16yr old son living with her who is autistic but goes to a mainstream college.

It's Heart breaking and I'm exhausted.

I just wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same issues.

Apologies for all the details but I just needed to get some of it off my chest

K

2. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @Kazzag
    a warm welcome to TP
    you have found the right place to come to and get stuff off your chest
    what a kind and thoughtful friend you are, and no doubt, sadly, your friend is mostly unaware of how much you do - make sure Social Services do know and also understand what your limits are or they will let you just get on with it
    I appreciate that your friend is much younger than most of the folk attending day care centres - might she go to 'help out' as much as she can, selling it to her as being a volunteer
    the main AS site has a directory of local services which may have some useful info - here's the link
    https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you
    keep posting as there's a lot of support on offer here

3. BazArcher

BazArcher Registered User

Feb 13, 2016
    Lakenheath, Suffolk
    Hello kazzag
    My wife was diagnosed 4 yrs ago with FTD at 47 and sadly over those years she has got a lot worse mainly with memory obviously but now she pretty much can't look after herself day to day so I take care of most things, we've been lucky with social here as they have managed to get her some hours at local day care centre. The main issue was her age but thankfully she still manages to make cups of tea so they "use" her to get cuppas for the older folks there and she's happy going. If your friend feels as though she's still being useful it can be a great benefit might be worth asking and see if they can sort out some days out at such a place.

Barry

4. PJ

PJ Registered User

Jan 26, 2017
    Female
    Bristol
    Hi @Kazzag I hope you don’t mind me asking but your post says your wife was diagnosed with FTD 4yrs ago. Do you know what type it is? Mine is behavioural.
    I know it’s different for everyone even if you have the same type :)